Gas main replacement

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SGN are currently replacing all the gas mains in our road. They are all 1930's built houses with the meters under the stairs and the info they stuck through the door last week says they are pushing plastic pipe up the existing lines.

I've come home to a bit of paper through the door saying they need access to the house for two days next week to do this. Not sure why they want two days.

They've also chosen two days I can't do, I can't believe there are many people who can afford to take two days off at late notice.

I'm going to try and call these people tomorrow but what happens if they turn up and no-one is in? Will I be disconnected completely? How long does it typically take to get this done?

Sponsored Links
Our main were steel pipe, along the back gardens and leaking, part of a still ongoing mains replacement for the entire area. Many in our street were built over with garages and huts, so they elected to dig up the road instead. The had the road up for weeks, every second address, using a compressed air mole between the holes. In our case, they made three holes in our drive and mole between. They did our part in a day, with a second day to fill their holes in the drive.

On some house styles, like the one next to us, with meter at the rear and no proper drives, they ran surface pipes around the house walls outside :( Their only way from front to rear, was to try to mole below utility room deep foundations.

Our style had meters at the side, so all buried pipe out of sight. I gave them permission to include next door's pipe, up our drive so they could avoid having their pipe on show.

Probably they have indicated two days, in case something goes not to plan..

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
'm going to try and call these people tomorrow but what happens if they turn up and no-one is in?

They won't get an answer

Will I be disconnected completely?

Possibly, after a number of attempts to gain access

How long does it typically take to get this done?

It doesn't take two days but they are just giving themselves a wide time scale. It is difficult to give an exact time if the works are planned some time in advance. Contact them and explain your situation and I'm sure they will be able to help.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Sponsored Links
Oh they dont need your permission and they have the legal right to enter your premises with a locksmith.
Few years ago they were bringing 60000 odd houses backn on in Northampton. Last twenty or so houses couldnt be accessed so they went in changed locks and left notes on front doors to ring gas transporter for access!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back