Gas Meter Location Regs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're moving our Gas meter from inside the house to the side of the House where the driveway runs.

We're told SGN Connections Limited need to do the job, and SGN wont send anyone to look at the site.

So, incredibly, it falls to me to ensure the site I've chosen is suitable and legal because we want to commit to doing other work which relies on the meter being sited where I plan. We can't afford for the meter movers to turn up and say no-can-do on the day.

Is there a document somewhere of meter position regs?

The only problems I can really anticipate are that the site we want to place the meter is tucked behind a drain and next to the driveway? Are either of those likely to cause a problem? (There are two drain covers on the driveway - is it right to assume the Gas guys will be pretty good at finding routes for their pipe through other services?)

Do we really need to use SGN? Might there be another firm who can legally do the work and will actually bother to visit the site before quoting, so all these issues don't fall to me to research?

Sponsored Links
Last time I asked about regs on meter locations, the silence was deafening !

As for using other services to route the gas pipe, I'd be very surprised.

See if we can remember.
Preferably front of house facing road.
Or side of house up to 2 metres away from front wall of house, providing no lockable gate in wall or fence between front of house and meter box.
If house is on corner with road running down side of house, then box can be on this wall or on back wall, but if on back wall same regs apply with regard distance and gate etc.
Box not to be in position that is dangerous or liable to damage.
Box to be as near straight line for service pipe from main as possible.
Route to be clear of drainage and other services as near as possible
Surface mounted box for solid walls, Semi recessed for cavity walls.
Bottom of both above to be 525mm to 900mm above path or external ground level.
You can have semi recessed ground level box, but we would not recommend.
Give thought to route of supply from meter to point of use.
Think we have it all.
oldun

Sponsored Links
See if we can remember.
So preferred position is to be as obtrusive (and fugly) as possible then :rolleyes:

Are meters still allowed to be located indoors (for new installs/repositions) ?

See if we can remember.
So preferred position is to be as obtrusive (and fugly) as possible then :rolleyes:

So what’s it got to do with you then mister.
We tried to answer the OPs question in a helpful manner. We do not make the rules and regs.
Where you got your meter? Nailed to nearest lamp post, or side of rabbit hutch?
Ref, your last question, sugeest you ask your gas supplier as we won't answer you.
oldun

See if we can remember.

So what’s it got to do with you then mister.
Just asking - since you give the impression of knowing something about the subject.
We tried to answer the OPs question in a helpful manner. We do not make the rules and regs.
Did I say you do ? No.
Where you got your meter? Nailed to nearest lamp post, or side of rabbit hutch?
In a fugly box, so is the electric meter. Nearly called them cheap and nasty fugly boxes, but I suspect they aren't cheap - just nasty and ugly.
Ref, your last question, sugeest you ask your gas supplier as we won't answer you.
Fine. When someone says "we won't answer you" I feel it says more about them than me. Still if you're happy being like that ...

And I have good reasons for not wanting to ask my gas supplier - at least not without knowing the answer first. My expectation (given their size) is to have to deal with people who's job is to prevent customers getting to talk to anyone that can help, and if you get past them, to have to deal with "their policy" which is often not the same as "the regs". In other words, I don't have any expectation of getting an honest answer - and if I don't know what the answer should be then I'd not know if the answer I got was honest would I ?

I just find it amazing that people spend as much money on their properties as they do, put lots of effort into making the gardens nice, and then tolerate these carbuncles without complaint or comment for someone else's convenience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back