Gas meter move and reconnection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the not too distant furure I will be having my gas meter moved/changed to a semi concealed meter box (that sits in the ground). Transco will be doing most of the work involved and then I will get a corgi registered engineer to connect the meter back to my internal pipes in the house.

Please could somebody tell me at which point the corgi registerd engineer will connect. Will he connect the pipes to the actual meter and therefore be responsible for creating the hole through the house wall to get back into the house or is this transco's job ?
Also, how much pipe is allowed to be exposed from where it leaves the meter to where it enters the house ? The corner of the gas meter box, where the pipe leaves will probably sit roughly near the external corner of the house (i.e. not much overlap between the 2) and therefore if the pipes need to enter the house perpendicular to the wall, the pipe will need to run externally about a foot, behind the soil stack to account for the width of the side house wall. Is this OK or can a hole be drilled through the wall at an angle, from the extenal corner of the house for the pipe to run through, therefore negating the need to run a pipe along the outside of the house for a foot ?

We're moving the meter because of a conservatorybut are also having an extension built next year and therefore I need to make sure that the meter is moved so that it doesn't interfere with any building work.

I hope this all makes sense and would appreciate any answers you can give to my questions.

Thanks,
Matt.

Sponsored Links
Please could somebody tell me at which point the corgi registerd engineer will connect. Will he connect the pipes to the actual meter and therefore be responsible for creating the hole through the house wall to get back into the house or is this transco's job ?

The corgi bloke will core through your wall for you.

Also, how much pipe is allowed to be exposed from where it leaves the meter to where it enters the house ?

No particular limit but it must be fully supported and in an appropriate material considering the individual siting. For instance, if it is in such a position that children might use it as a handrail or step, then it is unlikely that copper would be a good choice.

Many thanks for the response AB. That has helped a great deal.

Cheers,
Matt.

Many thanks for the response AB. That has helped a great deal.

Cheers,
Matt.

Sponsored Links
It wouldn't be put through other than at 90º, and make sure the new pipe is earth bonded (in the meter box preferably). Technically a sparkie's job. Anyone can connect a cable but only a guy with kit and knowledge can test it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back