A 'back to back' gas meter move in Berkshire (inside to out)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our gas meter is stuck in one corner of our lounge - the pipe (yellow polyethylene?) comes in through the wall, into the main isolating valve, a flexible corrugated steel hose goes into the meter and then the gas supply immediately exits the wall and runs up outside the house, where it re-enters and runs under the floor boards. I've attached a photo showing the gas pipe entering the house and then the copper supply to the house coming out the wall. The meter is simply on the wall the other side.

We want the meter moved outside - the yellow supply pipe is exposed, there would be virtually no replumbing required and it would hopefully be a really quick job. We really need the meter moving as we've plans for the area it's blocking - boxing it in etc is really a very poor option for us.

We've contacted Scotia (the network owner) and they want something like £800 to complete the work! This seems an absurd figure and one we can't possibly justify. We also found an 'independent' company in London (Tanners Gas) but they wanted virtually the same.

Is there any cheaper way to do this - we're quite willing to pay £300 and would provide a semi-concealed meter box - does anyone have any thoughts on how I can get this done or who would be able to do it?

Sponsored Links
A simple job by the look of it.
I have seen the contractors working on the mains.
All that is done is they clamp the pipe. I didn't realise you could actually clamp it that hard to cut the gas off. Then it is just a case of moving the
stop valve.

This is out a of normal plumbers/gas engineers remit unless you can find
one who has been working doing this type of gas installation and knows
exactly what they are doing. Agreed £800 is obscene. Typical rip off britain. It would probably take someone 1 hour.

Unfortunately, The only way in which this can be done is through the transporter.

Pay the £800 quoted, or leave it in your lounge.

There is something wrong with these gas supply costs!

Three years ago, BG quoted me over £1000 to put in a new supply.

The Transporter, Nat Grid, have quoted £342 for the same work and this even involved crossing the street!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Be interesting to know why you are digging a trench, because you can't build over the gas pipe.

May be more work than you think.

doitall";p="2523931 said:
Be interesting to knoiw why you are digging a trench, because you can't build over the gas pipe./quote]

Ditch was for a new soil pipe - won't be building over it, although that's good to know for the future - thanks!

Someone has suggested we could leave the ECV (primary valve?) where it is inside, pipe back outside and fit a secondary ECV and meter there. Whilst not ideal this could work perfectly. Any thoughts?

As far as I know that would be possible.

But it would be far better to get the job done properly.

I have heard of people paying cash to Nat Grid guys seen in the street to do minor works like this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back