Moving my outside gas meter back inside.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really related to Plumbing and CH but I think this is the most appropriate section of the site for this question.

So after changing energy providers for a cheaper deal, I find my old smart meters no longer work :rolleyes:. A very nice chap came today and fitted new SMETS2 meters for me, lovely.

A few years ago now my gas meter was moved to an outside wall (this was foisted upon me, I can't remember exactly the reason why). My electric meter is still inside, under my stairs, and has been lonely all that time. Poor thing :D.

I have a crazy notion to move the gas meter back inside, and get rid of that hideous carbuncle of a box on the outside which contains it. In terms of pipework it would be an easy fix - and of course I would get a Gas Safe Registered guy to do it - but I just want to check this is allowed? Clearly it doesn't need to be outside now, both meters will connect quite happily with my new provider's servers to provide them with my readings.

So, can the meter, regulator and on/off tap all move back inside my house?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Nope not allowed, has to stay outside, and a Gas safe registered guy as you call it wouldnt be allowed to do it anyway , would have to be carried out by your supplier, which they cant do, sorry you are stck with it outside

Ah, OK. Shame.

Not disputing what you say, but why is that?

Sponsored Links
A semi buried gas meter box could be a solution for you.

upload_2021-7-8_18-3-23.png

Thanks for that Bernard. With your 510yr old thatched cottage that is a very nice solution! Probably not worth it for me, I live in a Jerry-built place which wouldn't really warrant it. It was just that it always used to be inside and then it got moved outside for no particular reason that I could see at the time, everyone down my road in a similar-aged house still has the gas meter inside I think?

I think I've just remembered how it came about: many moons ago they were putting cable TV down my street. As was (still is?) their wont, the contractors cut a deep trench along the middle of the pavement using a big tarmac-munching circular saw which cut a trench to a fixed depth. As it passed my house it dipped down to follow the contours of my dropped-curb drive entrance. About 2mths later the power cut off from my house for no apparent reason. I thought it was a power cut but no, only my house. So I made the call and the people from the electric came (whatever was the name of the overseeing authority at the time, National Grid?) A knowing smile came across their faces as they surveyed the newly made and filled-in trench. 'Had cable TV put in recently, have we?' they asked. 'Yes' says I. 'Well sir, what's happened is that their circular saw has nipped the sheathing on your incoming power cable, and after some time of water ingress, has literally exploded undergound' o_O True enough, as they dug down there had been a small explosion. However, whether it was their excavations (or indeed, the original explosion) there was now an accompanying gas leak. So they had to cut off the gas to the whole street while they sorted that (all my neighbours glaring at me through twitching net curtains) and then after that had been reinstated the electric people set about performing a fascinating fix using a kind of enormous molten solder mould below ground level, to join the two ends back together.

In amongst all the gas work, for some reason my gas meter got moved outside. I'm thinking perhaps it was a whole new pipe up the 15m drive to my house, so perhaps that came with the deal so to speak? Anyway, been stuck with it ever since, and I hate the bloody thing :(.

And that is the story of my outside gas meter!

Yes that will be exactly what happened, regs say when a gas escape is found on a metal service it has to be replaced with PE and the meter must be moved outside

If you find the wall box unsightly, you can, if you wish, paint it to blend, tone or contrast with the wall of your house.

Clean the plastic or fibreglass with a nylon pan-scourer and white spirit to remove dirt and eroded surface, or scuff the gloss if new, and apply a single flowing coat of oil-based non-drip gloss. No primer or undercoat. Plastic waste-pipes the same.

I can't tell you how long it lasts, as mine was only done 25 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back