Move gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Given that..
a) Gas suppliers are fitting smart meters and have to convert us all by 2010.
b) My meter is in a carport below a bedroom that I am currently walling up to in order to make this space part of the domestic residence (the meter will then be indoors).

Is it correct that the preferred position of any new smart meters will be outdoors where access will not rely upon a resident being at home?

I won't want a meter in my newly created room (who would?) and also don't want to pay the absurd sum that I will be charged to move it. Surely whoever is obliged to fit a smart meter will prefer to fit it outside and as the existing meter will then be indoors the supplier will have to move the supply. I won't ask them to move it but if they insist......

Why pay to move it when I can wait knowing that the government will oblige the supplier to do it free?

Sounds too easy, anybody got any holes to shoot through this theory :)

Sponsored Links
Hi i might be completely wrong but isn't the whole point of a smart meter that it can be read wirelessly(is that a word?)

I would have thought they'd just change your meter like for like because they'd be digging themselves into a massive hole if they had to move all the meters to outside?

I once arranged for a private utilities worked to move a meter for a customer of mine but I am not 100% how legal that was.

Dan

I never had a smart meter fitted by 2010

You can wait as long as you like but it may never happen!

Tony

Sponsored Links
um...

Ok I got the date wrong but agree that the meters are being changed?

I do have a job but am aware that there are some very unusual things re pricing going on out there (thanks to John Prescott).

Policies on such things tend to volatile. What are they telling you?
Phone 3 times, speak to different people, rephrase the question...

Meter will stay in the same place. Here is a statement from eon. Smart meters work similar to a standard gas or electricity meter. The key difference is that they can talk to one other, talk to the smart energy display and communicate remotely with the energy supplier. They converse using SIM cards – the same kind of technology that a mobile phone uses.

Smart meters offer a wide range of benefits including:

Automatic meter readings so customers won’t need to read the meter or have a meter reader call
No more estimated bills – only up to date, accurate bills
Spotting where you can make savings
Seeing exactly how much energy customers using now and over time and;
Dedicated smart meter customer service center.

Given that..
b) My meter is in a carport below a bedroom that I am currently walling up to in order to make this space part of the domestic residence (the meter will then be indoors).

Sounds too easy, anybody got any holes to shoot through this theory :)

There are rules about building a wall over a gas supply. If the builder gets it wrong and it is spotted, NG will disconnect - and you will foot the bill for reinsatement.

Smart meter roll out has been held back a bit probably due to lawsuits going on all over America regards there safety also due to way electric ones work they charge more for same amount of electricity used .

Google it .

Never heard of NG disconnecting anyone who has built over a service even though its not allowed as such now.
If its at build stage and they are called to do work to it that is a different scenario

Will smart meter installers also repair/exchange external meter boxes to stop rain/moisture etc from damaging their precious meter.
could be chargeable to the householder. :evil:

Smart meters are read through the use of a sim card in the meter, so as long as you have a vodaphone (BGs network provider) signal at the current electric meters position, then it can be installed. If your gas meter is too far away from the electric meter and wont bind via the use of bluetooth then you will have a 'dumb' meter instead of a smart one.

As previously stated, the supplier will not pay to have it moved.
If you can afford a fancy new extension, you can afford £600 to have the meter moved outside. Stop being a cheapskate.

If your meter is in a meter box in its current position and isnt moved before the carport is converted then it shall be At Risk'd as you're not allowed meter boxes internally.

Pay up.

Will smart meter installers also repair/exchange external meter boxes to stop rain/moisture etc from damaging their precious meter.
could be chargeable to the householder. :evil:

Meter box is part of the fabric of the building, Meter installers will not repair the meter box and if the meter is completely exposed the meter shall be At Risk'd and turned off.

Hi i might be completely wrong but isn't the whole point of a smart meter that it can be read wirelessly(is that a word?)

I would have thought they'd just change your meter like for like because they'd be digging themselves into a massive hole if they had to move all the meters to outside?

I once arranged for a private utilities worked to move a meter for a customer of mine but I am not 100% how legal that was.Dan

haha yes you are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back