Gas meter position

Going back to the original question, is a Gas Safe registered plumber allowed to move a meter, and if so, which if any of the following are they allowed to do?

Move the gas meter within the reach of the existing flexible pipe
Replace the flexible with a longer one and move the meter
Put in some extra pipework between the isolation valve and the flexible pipe (thus extending the reach of the flexible pipe) and move the meter​

If any of those are allowed I'll get a few quotes, otherwise I'll persist with Gas Safe/Southern Gas and start saving up..

Thanks

That is a rather grey area!

Technically any RGI should be competent to do all of those.

Probably they should have the gas module for fitting meters. But that is a very limited scope module for meter changers and all RGIs would not learn anything new there.

But the meter and its supply pipework belongs to the gas supplier and so no one "should" work on it without their permission!

But some RGIs are pretty blatant about doing what they really should not do, so out of about 10 asked at random you might find at least a couple who would. But they may not want any paperwork tying them to the job.

Tony

Sponsored Links
JohnD

Ah, sorry in my ignorance I thought SGN was Southern Gas (Network).. SGN are the people who did the work and the people I have been speaking to, not Southern Gas..

Sorry for any confusion.

I would just call them up and say that the garage door has been banging into it and now "sometimes" you can smell gas. They'll be round pretty quickly.

Thanks AGAS. I will measure up when I get home. You never know.

If you'd seen the amount of stuff on the shelves in front of the door, you'd understand why there's no way they could have tested it. They probably would have preferred to be able to do the work with the door open if they could; it would have been quite a cramped space to work in..

Sponsored Links
Agile it is not a grey area its simple other than to take a meter out when blowing a joint any rgi must have meters qualification to move it even using the existing fittings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back