Gas Meter Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has an old 1970 pre fabricated garage connected to it that is badly in need of removing. The panels are cracking and the wooden roof timbers are rotting away.

Ideally I want to knock the garage down however the problem I have is that the gas meter is installed on the outside of this garage. There is then some cooper pipe for the gas inside the garage that runs along the ceiling before entering the house.

IS there any chance the supplier would move the meter for me? Where the meter is situated is also where the concrete panels are cracking the most.

Sponsored Links
If its feasible to remove the garage without damaging the meter installation, I would make my own meter housing for it - if it can stay where it is.
If not, its Bachos way.

I think the problem i have if i take the garage down is that the meter would be free standing to the side of the house. I would then have to run a pipe underground to get the gas in the house.

I take it that any moving of the meter position will carry a cost?

Sponsored Links
I've just had my meter moved including re-routing the steel supply pipe for about £400.

I can't be precise because I also had two futher new supplies/meters fitted making 3 meters/boxes at the same time and needed 20m of upstream plastic supply pipe dug up and replaced with a larger bore pipe, all for under £1300.

A good deal I thought! And very well carried out by the installation team.

Thanks WWU.

you could probably buy a utilities fella a crate of beer and im sure he would happily move it for you. i mean he must be ok to do it if he does it for his job wink wink

They aint guna risk they job for a crate of beer maybe £250 , Have a look on ebay ive seen people advertise on there for service pipe alters.

I did the internal gas pipework for someone who had the meter relocated to a box outside. They charged £900 for a very straightforward job although they did have to break out concrete to reconnect to the gas supply.

Tony

The suppliers will move the meter for you (at a cost) but you'll need to provide a new meter box (installed) to accomodate the meter.
When you first apply a surveyor may well call to check that the site will be OK.
For our area it is National Grid Tel 0870 903 9999. Tell 'em you want to move the meter and they'll send you the info' pack,
Not sure phone number will be the same for your area.

Aah! Just remembered. The Gas suppliers will move the supply to a readily installed meter box. they will not necessarily reconnect your side of the meter. You'll need to line up a gas registered contractor to do that, once the meter has been moved.
Summarise:
1. Install new meter box
2. Move meter and supply
3. Reconnect meter to domestic gas.

Three separate processes. But last 2 processes can be done in 1 day with proper preparation.

Meter boxes are available from the likes of Jewson for about £35 or so.

In all the cases I have seen the meter box has been supplied as part of the move.

In your case it can potentially be reused.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back