Gas smart meter install problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have attached a picture of my current gas meter . My supplier is due to install a smart meter but I want to foresee any issues. Obviously access is a bit tight but wondered if it’s possible to fit the smart meter without ripping out the cupboard.

Thanks for any inputs/help
CB58BF5D-BB02-4200-BB61-BC00E8D4453E.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What would you do if you could smell gas??? :eek:

Access to the valve needs to be created .... like ..... yesterday!! What was the kitchen installer thinking! Probably wasn't actually!

Blimey. That looks like one of those old ones than can be spun round to run backwards. ;) You will need to be able to turn the gas off though so get that emergency control valve located. Pronto!

Erm, where's the emergency control valve (ECV) and is there unfettered easy access to it?
I don’t know, so probably not. I imagine hidden away behind the cupboard? N
What would you do if you could smell gas??? :eek:

Access to the valve needs to be created .... like ..... yesterday!! What was the kitchen installer thinking! Probably wasn't actually!
I just went in there again. Back panel slides out easily and the ecv is there for access. I could leave the back panel removed and there would no barrier to the ecv

Regarding the smart meter question, will my installer go with this or avoid like the plague?

The new meter will probably be smaller so the engineer will have to fit a meter bracket and floor stand, by looking a the picture the hole in the bottom shelf doesn't look big enough to accommodate it.

Please keep us updated with this story, meter monkey will have a meltdown when he sees that, and will make every excuse in the book not to do it:giggle:
Hey,

Taken a few more photos of this provides a better insight! Not sure if this changes anything or makes it more achievable?
CC22911F-DDA2-41DB-ACD8-B837CD0BC7FF.jpeg
A1B2F57F-7189-4D9D-8AAE-BEF98E96230A.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back