Smart meters not compatible with underfloor heating

Sponsored Links
The cost of the expensive smart meter and infrastructure that it needs to operate?!
my brother had a prepayment for 10 years before smart meters ( with card ) and two years after smart installed, the reason for confusion is that extra cost of pre-payment has not changed one bit , but with smart meters coming less operating costs ( to company ) is less than previously because of use of internet payments ( direct from account and no shop brought credit ) same as new standard smart meters which run the same way but you have choice paying by 3 monthly or direct debit as usual.

so i can't see the extra work for people with prepayment smart meters or standard smart meters , so its now a level playing field with any smart meters ( both types ) and the meter man agreed and couldn't understand it himself . i think they don't want to change the norm because they earn millions from it ( from the poor ) , so really they are getting an extra bonus from people who pay for their gas up front which seems illogical because they get their money at point of purchase witch really they should get a discount .
the smart meter has made it a level playing field between credit and prepayment , it just sounds some double standards going on and suppliers are reaping enormous rewards which i think it has to change .

agile says 5% its more like prepayment are paying an extra 20 - 30 % which is millions, other words the infrastructure is the same either way through personal and brothers experiences .
hope that made sense after a few pints :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry for late reply. Thanks for all advice. My underfloor is electric and SG provides me with both gas and electrics

Sponsored Links
Agile says 5% its more like prepayment are paying an extra 20 - 30 % which is millions, other words the infrastructure is the same either way through personal and brothers experiences .

I think the shop gets about 5%.

But that does not stop the energy supplier from taking more "to cover the cost of the meter and administration".

Actually the extra cost is more like 10 %. I changed one over recently!

no because i had one for a year when i moved into my new house and actually it was 24% - 26% extra than a non pre-payment meter i have to bill somewhere , and the shop only takes 2 - 3 % from each payment

Agile says 5% its more like prepayment are paying an extra 20 - 30 % which is millions, other words the infrastructure is the same either way through personal and brothers experiences .

I think the shop gets about 5%.

But that does not stop the energy supplier from taking more "to cover the cost of the meter and administration".

sorry Tony I am confused here , how did you manage to only change one Smart meter ?

EDF does not agree with AGAS in respect of their charging which they say is the same!

"""EDF Energy prepayment meters help you to manage your energy use and control your spending. Prepayment meters allow you to use energy on a pay as you go basis and can be topped up with a key or card. You can add funds to your prepayment key or card at any PayPoint, Payzone outlet or Post Office.

• You control how much energy you use and how much you spend – meaning you won’t have to worry about overspending on energy
  • No need to submit any meter readings and you won’t receive any quarterly bills
  • Emergency credit facility gives you peace of mind
  • Pay the same for gas and electricity as our billed customers
  • A great way to pay off outstanding energy bills"""

Ian, I was only changing a gas card meter for a gas credit meter.

Still to be done is changing the electricity dongle meter for some kind of credit electricity meter.

The change of electricity meter was cancelled at the last moment by their contractor and then the appointment fell off their system! May get done this week.

EDF live chat does not know how many percent the shops get on gas and electricity and suggests ringing their office number. Who are unlikely to know anyway!

Called passing the buck!

At some point the buck stops here. But I have not reached that point yet. Probably not available until Monday. Amusing that the mostly non Christian staff have to observe a day off on the Christian sabbath.

According to Exodus 20:8 the Sabbath is commanded by God to be kept as a holy day of rest, as God rested from creation.

Christians like Sundays, Jews Saturday and Moslems Friday!

EDF does not agree with AGAS in respect of their charging which they say is the same!

"""EDF Energy prepayment meters help you to manage your energy use and control your spending. Prepayment meters allow you to use energy on a pay as you go basis and can be topped up with a key or card. You can add funds to your prepayment key or card at any PayPoint, Payzone outlet or Post Office.

• You control how much energy you use and how much you spend – meaning you won’t have to worry about overspending on energy
  • No need to submit any meter readings and you won’t receive any quarterly bills
  • Emergency credit facility gives you peace of mind
  • Pay the same for gas and electricity as our billed customers
  • A great way to pay off outstanding energy bills"""
not from my bill hence the reason for changing a for non pre-payment meter , plus it was not EDF . don't believe what you read agile because there are other charges applied of which i can't remember right now , i did that exact thing you done and checked those websites which didn't add up with my bill which i asked to be calculated 3 times because i was disputing it . and another thing is if you pay by DD you get i think 10% -15% discount ???for the year but if you pay up front you get no discount , now how is that fair ? , when you could cancel your DD at any point , which is another extra payment for pre-payment meters .

Ian, I was only changing a gas card meter for a gas credit meter.

Still to be done is changing the electricity dongle meter for some kind of credit electricity meter.

The change of electricity meter was cancelled at the last moment by their contractor and then the appointment fell off their system! May get done this week.
Must be different in England than up here , you would never do a one off meter change up here , you are either working for or subbying to SGN so that meter indexes and serial numbers etc are all recorded and passed on to whoever is the supplier so that the billing is consistent

Its was not me changing the meters!

I am in effect the consumer.

The energy suppliers use their own contractors.

I would find it a mind destroying job!

It was bad enough cleaning a plate HE this evening.

When I left though I received a text saying

"""Frederique loves you!

She now thinks you are the ultimate boiler engineer"""

Might have been more exciting had it not come from an ex trainee who has now left London and let his flat here!

Pretty bad installation too. Makes me wonder who did it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back