Smart meters not compatible with underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My gas supplier called me the other day to discuss the possibility to install a smart meter. I was told that because I have underfloor heating the current smart meters are not compatible and that i need to wait until they are. Is this true? and if so why?

Sponsored Links
I really cannot believe that anyone would tell you that!

Contact your supplier and ask them about it and be prepared to register a complaint with them.

Tony

Sounds a bit odd. AFAIK smart meters just measure the volume of gas that flows into your property, the same as the meter that you have now. The smart bit is transmitting your usage to the supplier and providing you with some statistics on a screen inside your home. Why where the gas ends up being used would have an effect I cannot comprehend.

Sponsored Links
That comment is in relation to electricity and ELECTRIC underfloor heating which would normally use an off peak charging system.

Gas is completely different and a stupid person with no technical knowledge at all has just been confused!

Tony

is completely different and a stupid person with no technical knowledge at all has just been confused!
We know :rolleyes:
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
In which case I would agree with Tony: the person from the gas supplier has no technical knowledge as (s)he has obviously never heard of water-based underfloor heating and automatically assumed it was electric.

is completely different and a stupid person with no technical knowledge at all has just been confused!
We know :rolleyes:
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
In which case I would agree with Tony: the person from the gas supplier has no technical knowledge as (s)he has obviously never heard of water-based underfloor heating and automatically assumed it was electric.
maybe I am missing something here but the OP hasnt said they have wet underfloor heating it might very well be electric ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back