Gas Meter Move - New Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to get info about where my gas meter can be relocated to due to the current external wall which houses the box being demolished due to an extension. I am in an SGN area and they seem reluctant to do a site visit without me committing to the move timescales, but i cant do that until i work out where it going to go.

I am in a south London victorian end of terrace and unlike everyone else in the area my meter is actually on an external rear wall rather than near the front door meaning my supply pipe goes, i believe, from the road under the house to the meter at the back.

In an ideal world i would like the meter to be relocated to the front of the house but on the opposite side of a bay window. The boiler will be in the new extension in the rear so i am posed with somehow routing a pipe to the back of the house. As i am end of terrace, and there is a gated alleyway on the side i wish to locate the meter on could i have pipe run from the meter along this wall and then go internal to the new boiler? My builder is saying yes, he is also saying it could be relocated under the stairs, but he is also saying he moves these things all the time using his gas safe engineers which i know can only work on my side of the meter. If i cant go around the outside wall can i go via the, small, void under the house as there is enough room for a pipe although i would not want to crawl in the space to fit the pipe. I cant take up the existing ground floor floor as its solid oak and cost a fortune.

Any clues or pointers as to what my options are?

thanks

Sponsored Links
The meter can go anywhere externally but they are unlikely to agree to putting it inside any more.

Seems unlikely the gas supply will be going under the house but anything is possible!

You can fit the meter at the front or just to the side and have an external pipe towards the back.

Its up to you to decide where you want it and ask for a quote.

Tony

thanks for the info - with regard to running the external pipework to the boiler, any piping that is FROM the meter can be done by a gas safe engineer but anything involved BEFORE the meter has to be done by the SGN engineer ?

Sponsored Links
Only approved supply network contractors can do meter moving or service pipework.

I understand that it does NOT have to be done by the gas supplier or even by the main service contractor in the area.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back