Gas pipe pushing on floorboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first time poster here.
We've had a new gas pipe installed. (UK)
Done by a gas safe fitter, reccomended etc. Generally happy, but I've got the floor up for something else, and I've noticed the gas pipe bears against the floorboards-

ie the pipe is at an angle to horizontal and the net result is that an elbow in the pipe is gently pressing (ie firm finger pressure moves it away) from the floorboard. Picture added for info. Is this something serious (unlike the previous owners I will actually mark where pipes/cables run).

Do I need to get him back to change it?

Attachments

• 20210522_093741.jpg
    20210522_093741.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 216
Sponsored Links
1. It shouldn't be rubbing and you ought to get it fixed.
2. Simple cure might be to clip to the wall / joist to the right of your photograph after pushing down slightly.
3. Should be done by whoever installed the pipe, but adding a clip is a pretty simple job.
4. There will be very little movement in a gas pipe (no temperature changes), so unless the floorboard moves I wouldn't class it as particularly urgent.

Thanks!
I guessed that would be the answer, but as I'm not allowed to play with gas I've never looked at it.

To clip it to the joist will need it pushing down. I assume that it within the limits of copper pipe?

Another answer is to lift the board above and carve out a recess in the underside (max half the boards thickness) that clears the pipe, a router will give a nice finish but you can simply hack it out with a wood chisel.
lift the board and as long as the pipe does not spring up too far that fix should do.

Sponsored Links
its absolutely nothing to worry about nothing is going to happen to it

as @gas112 nothing to worry about, if it makes you feel better slip a small piece of carpet or rubber or similar (not metal) between the floor board and the pipe where it touches , but as said nothing to worry about

Thanks all.
I shall find something carpetesque to go there.

Also, now the flooring is fixed with screws, there should be no risk of someone cutting down to open it up.
(We won't mention the 1970s gas-pipe touching the plasterboard of the ceiling below... good job we never moved the lights...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back