Gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the depth a gas pipe should be burried underground? cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi Iain,

This is taken from HSE guidelines Design, construction and installation of gas service pipes
Pipelines Safety Regulations 1996
Approved Code of Practice and guidance, which can be found here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l81.pdf

Service pipes should be routed so as to minimise the possibility of third party damage. Consideration should be given to the route, the depth of cover, the pipe material and any additional protective measures (such as protective concrete slabs). The route selected should be the shortest route possible, in so far as is reasonably practicable. The service pipe should normally be laid at a minimum depth of 375 mm in private ground and 450 mm in footpaths and highways. Where a lesser depth is proposed, additional protection against third party damage should be considered.

I know because I've been searching unsucessfully for info on routeing of supply pipes.
We are extending and the current supply to our house also supplies our neighbour's mid terrace via our driveway. Our supply is being moved near the front of our new extension (relativey simply). Initially we were advised that our neighbour's supply would need to be relaid so that it accessed them from the front of their mid terrace house. Now they have changed their mind and have said that they will route the supply to them down our drive and round the back of our house to them.

Can anyone tell me if this is good or normal practice? as it seems to contradict the guidelines quoted above?

many thanks (and sorry for hi-jacking your post Iain!)

It depends....., on where, the pressure, the "traffic" etc.

I don't remember cos I don't dig holes, it's a case of evaluating the situation and finding the closest in the Brit Standards - which aren't online.

It can be 1.2 metres, or 750mm..... etc etc.

Sponsored Links
deleted - my very correct advice was of no interest to the two OP's, bye bye.

Ive been digging since monday (strip founds for our extension) and i came across the gas pipe yesterday. Just as well im hand digging.its only 250mm under the ground.

Thanks IJWS15,

I've taken your advice and looked at the info published by Transo. This is taken from here:

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonlyres/7DC3282C-33DE-46A6-B697-152DEFECBA85/1118/3eb1.doc

3.7 Shallow Depth Services
3.7.1 The service pipe should normally be laid at a minimum depth of 375mm in private ground and 450mm in public highway. Should a situation where the service pipe is not at the required depth or proposed to be laid shallower1, then consideration should be given to either additional protection2 or replacement to minimise 3rd party damage.

Notes:
1 Proposals for shallow depth services will need to be validated by Transco and recorded by UIP on completion of the work.
2Examples of additional protection against interference would include the provision of a sleeved duct, concrete plinth, steel plate with a suitable caution / warning tape applied.

The HSE website FAQ says:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pipelines/faqs.htm

HSE expects mains and services to be laid at the depths specified in these publications unless other effective precautions are taken to minimise the risk of third party damage.

A gas main should normally be laid with a minimum depth of cover of 750 mm in a road or verge and 600 mm in a footpath.
A gas service pipe should normally be laid with a minimum depth of cover of 375 mm in private ground and 450 mm in footpaths and highways.

so it seems it depends where it is?

Our existing gas supply is exposed on our drive at ground level and was literally underneath the tarmac. Think they were having an off day when that was laid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back