plastic gas service pipe issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had an extension to my existing property. Had a new boiler fitted which required a chap to be called out from the emergency gas board (can't remember what they are called) for an unrelated issue but he pointed out the once external gas meter is now internal (inside new garage) which by itself isnt an issue but as it is fed hy a plastic service pipe up he wall to the meter box (from the yellow pipe underground) it is now illegal.

Apparently you cannot have a plastic gas service pipe inside as they are not fire rated, thankfully it was spotted! My question - is it possible to cover the pipe with a metal sheath or does it 'need' to be moved outside?

Thanks guys
Tiff

Sponsored Links
Covering with a metal sheath, would do what? (in the event of a fire) ;) ;)

No much I assume :oops:
But what I'm getting at I guess is if you were to fire protect the pipe for 1hour would that be acceptable or just silly, or is there no alternative but to just move the service pipe outside?

Thanks

The pipe (and meter) will have to be moved to outside the building, this can only be done by National Grid Gas (or an approved contractor). This may not prove to be cheap!

A metal sheath will not protect the pipe from heat which could cause it to melt, thus adding an uncontrollable escape of gas to an already dangerous situation..... :eek:

Sponsored Links
Ok thank you, just wanted to see if there was any other safe alternative to moving the complete meter

The Transco man (before the days of NG!) told me all pipework within the building should be able to be isolated by the main supply valve. (Never mind i've got about a 20ft run of steel pipe from the road, under the hallway floor and into understairs cupboard before the valve. Therefore he said, my installation is now illegal, but NG wont do anything with it until it starts to leak....)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back