Gas Meter in Porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me please, both myself and my neighbour have had porches built on out properties. Out gas meters were originally on an outside wall but are now on the inside of the porch.
Our builder said there would not be a problem however after my gas engineer serviced my boiler he told me that the meter position was illegal as it was fed by plastic pipe.
After speaking to Wales and West they seemed to be of the opinion that it shoudn't be a problem.
A guy from Wales and West has just visited, first saying it was high risk then backing down sand saying low risk after I told him what Wales and West told me on the phone.
Ultimately I have to wait for their decision but has anyone else been in this position and what happened to you?
Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Technically gas meters need to remain accessible from the outside, the gas supplier's responsibility stops at the meter ie if there is a suspected leak on the supply pipe leading up to the meter they are responsible and if the pipe is not accessible (ie outside of your property) then they would have to gain entry and/or potentially break up parts of your porch to access it – exacerbated if there was no one at home at the time. So that is the theory.

So your gas engineer is right but whether it’s high, low or medium risk or whatever is down to interpretation I guess. That said there are millions of meters still contained inside a property ie under the stairs or wherever and extensions are often built so that external meters become internal and even building Control turn a blind eye.

Personally I would have just ignored the gas engineers advice and not stirred things up with the gas supplier – I guess it remains to be seen what they may or may not expect you to do about it now they’ve got wind of it.

Plastic pipes and fittings of certain standards can be used in certain circumstances.

Its really down to a risk assesment of suitabilty and likelyhood potential damage in the specific circumstances.

Risk of impact damage or fire damage can be mitigated with enclosure and protection to make the installation safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back