gas safety certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get some clarity on a situation

I had a boiler replaced some 5 to 10 years ago
It was situated where the old one had been close to floor level on an exterior wall beneath a window

The boiler is a combi condensing boiler by Bosch Worcester
The flue exhausts straight through the wall , at the time the engineer informed me that the window needed to be fixed closed to be safe as far as carbon monoxide emissions

I never fixed the window closed

I now have moved to australia and the sister in law is no longer living in the old home and we are considering renting the property

I was hoping to just add a flue extension and raise the external vent to above the window
The advice I have received has been mixed and mostly has suggested I need to reposition or replace the whole system

Can anyone advise on the availability of flue extensions, bosch technical suport suggest there are parts service engineers suggest not?
The legality of just extending the flue above the window and what clearances may be required

If a flue extension can not be sourced or is not suitable, would altering the window to a fixed solid glass pane that can not be opened be a suitable alternative to any carbon monoxide issues

Since reading around this area, trying to educate myself, I have come across some suggestions of flues needing to have a guard attached if not over 2.2 meters high , I am unsure if my vent has a guard , is anyone able to comment on the addition of these

If a flue extension or guard are added does this constitute work that may require the boiler to be compliant with current regulations rather than those that were current when it was installed

And finally the boiler has a condensing chamber and releases 100 ml volumes, this discharges onto a flat roof terrace that has drains and gullies on. One engineer suggested this was illegal and that a condensate pump needed to be installed to pump the condensate to an internal waste, the intallation instructions make me think that this service person was just not aware of this type of unit as it showed 4 options for dealing with the waste 3 of which were externally discharged

Thank you so much for any help you can give
I am really struggling with getting a letting agent to answer these questions

Andrew

Sponsored Links
First probably cheaper an easier to convert window to not being open able(fixed pane) as flue parts may not be obtainable and are expensive.

Second flue guard req if under 2m from ground or position it can be touched from. Basket over it needs to have 50mm clearance all round to stop little fingers touching hot surface available from all merchants .

Flat roof is not the best place to terminate a condense as it may rot the roofing material as it is slightly acidic. it would be far better to extend the condense pipe into a down pipe whether this is pumped or not depends on location

You seem to have been a little unconcerned by ignoring the advice given to you when you were in the UK.

You will get nowhere with agents but need a sympathetic engineer.

Many will see you ( as Agents do ) as a cash cow for milking.

I dont understand how you are talking about a roof and then needing a termination cover. They cost about £6 and take about 20 min to fit. Bot a big problem.

At the very least the condensate could be extended in 32 mm to the gutter! Thats not perfect but will suit most people.

Sorry your property is not near me.

Tony

Agile do you not understand the basic rules of terminal guards then .
If the flat roof is used as a sun terrace or balcony as many are then even though its more than 2 metres from the ground then a guard is required if it not 2 metres above the surface of the flat roof

Sponsored Links
converting an openable window to a fixed one may not sort the problem as the flue needs to be more than 150mm from an opening in the fabric of the building (ie where the window frame meets the wall) get a gas engineer in, not sure why it was connected 5 yrs ago if the engineer told you about the window problem as he/she shouldnt have connected it till the window issue was resolved

i had already contacted bosch worscester about flue extension kits for the model
a greenstar hr 35 , they say all parts are available
yet the advice i have had said this is not possible , is there some other reason why a flue extension would not be a suitable option to move the exhaust to the required heigth and further from the glass?

yes the roof is a roof terrace sorry for not being precise in explaining that

so flue extension seems like it would make the issue ok

and if cant be sourced then fixed pane window and flue guard attached are suitable next steps

thanks so much for all your help

flue extensions are not for external use unless specified by the ,manufacturer. windows, sealed or otherwise are considered an opening.

from GS' mouth not mine.

There was an argument started by CORGI and as far as I know never concluded by Gas Safe.

This is that the air inlet point is the "flue terminal"! This is regardless of the common sense attitude that the POC discharge point which could be 2m away is where the danger of breathing bas gases arises!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back