Gas Safety Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my inspection last week I have a large property with 2 boilers and a separate gas fire.

Chap that did the test said everything was fine and that they would send the cert and the invoice in the post.

Received the certificate today and it says that one of the boilers is not safe to use yes is written in the box then crossed out and no written?

Reason has been given the exhaust flue is to close to an opening door and window and that it requires a basket. The boiler is in a basement and vents directly through the wall. Approx 12 inches to the right of the flue is this window/door which acts as an emergency exit from the basement area.

Boiler is a Glow worm 100 FS and at least 30 years old, installed some time late 1970's early 1980's. (I inherited it with the property)Clearly its installation at that time was in line with the current best practice and whatever regulations were in force. As I understood it the same is not true today and if I was ever to replace it the flue would have to be moved.

Need I be concerned it has failed for this reason?

Same chap inspected it last year and whilst commenting on the position of the flue passed it as safe to use.
Nothing has changed in the intervening period and the appliance as is it was.
I would ring the inspecting company for an explanation but I wanted some independent views in case they are trying to drum themselves up some work....

Sponsored Links
if the gas operative thought it was unsafe, he should turn it off and fix a warning on it saying so, the best to do is phone them and ask .why have you changed your mind? if the flue terminal is below 2 metres high it should have a basket over it, but you could fit that yourself,

Agree with Jackpike. Also on a 30 year old boiler I would have said it would not have passed the reg's on it's original installation. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back