Question re gas boiler service and 'Safety Record.

Sponsored Links
I have just found the information shown in the attached on the Gas Safe site.
The implication is that for residential homeowners (not landlords or tenants) there is nor regulation governing the issue of a safety certificate when either installing or servicing gas equipment - is this correct?
Absolutely correct. There is no requirement at all to issue a certificate of any kind for private homes. In fact there is no REQUIREMENT for servicing of appliances in rented accommodation - all that is REQUIRED is some basic safety checks.

Commercially available certificates all over-reach the requirements, and there is no requirement to use them. I always printed my own, avoiding mention of Fire alarms, and anything else not actually required.

If the client wished their kit to be serviced, I did do at the appropriate rate. I always insisted on fully servicing Open Flued appliances, but that was my stance, but I never misrepresented it as a legal requirement

Thanks guys - so a question related to an appliance (Range Cooker).

If there is no regulation to govern the issue of a certificate at the time of installation of an appliance, how can an appliance warranty company insist on seeing one prior to sending out an engineer to reair it - particularly as no mention of requiring one was mentioned at the point of sale - all that was mentioned when we bought ours was that it had to be connected by a gas safe engineer.
When we made a claim, they said that unless we had the certificate that an installer IS required to issue they would not expose their engineer to possible danger by attending and repairing an item that may not have been installed safely - despite the fact that it was installed 8 months ago and could have been moved multiple times during that period.

how can an appliance warranty company insist on seeing one prior to sending out an engineer to reair it
They shouldn't, tell them you don't have, or need, one. If they still refuse tell them you'll have it repaired by others and seek to recover the costs from them.

Sponsored Links
They shouldn't, tell them you don't have, or need, one. If they still refuse tell them you'll have it repaired by others and seek to recover the costs from them.
I did that, but they insist they do, and suggested if I wasn't happy to take them to court.

If you have a receipt with a Gas Safe No stating that he installed the cooker, then that should be enough.
All GS. RGI’s are bound to work to the standards and Regs (not that all do) and voluntarily supplying a cert changes nothing. The very act of working on an appliance and leaving it in operation is an implicit statement that all is well (within parameters)

Who is this company - normally they say that if they find the appliance installation is lacking they will refuse warranty work. Some boilers charge a returnable fee, forfeited in some circumstances.

It does not cost a great deal to take them to a small claims court, you can start it online. Just make sure of your facts and I would say that you have a good chance of winning, if they don’t back down.

Ask them to quote you the regulation that requires a certificate for anything other than a LLGSR.

The supplier was Appliances Direct, but they keep referring me to their warranty company (who I think may be part of the same group).
I reported that one of the 3 ovens was overheating a month after I bought it. Tey refused to deal with it until I had obtained the certificate. 6 months later the thermostat on the second oven failed, and they still refused to deal with it referring me to their warranty isurer.
My consumer rights, as I understand it, have to be met by the supplier - not their warranty insurer and they have an obligation under the 'fit for purpose' rule to put things right.

Your supplier is ultimately responsible, as it is with them that you had the contract.

However, they can, and invariably do, use a 3rd party as an agent or contractor. They cannot do any repair’s themselves as they are a retailer and will not be Gas Safe Registered.

I would write to the supplier, cite the Consumers Act and demand satisfaction at the risk of Court action.

But as I said , ask the warranty firm upon what legislation they are relying, copying the supplier in with the correspondence .

The lack of a response (as there is actually no answer!) will be useful in your small claims action.

I am not entirely sure if they will respond, but you could also write or email Gas Safe, explaining simply that your installer did not provide a certificate and ask if he should have done. Probably best to avoid any comments about litigation or warranty claims or they may be disinclined to involve themselves . Again, there response will be valuable case evidence

Last edited:
Thinking about it, normally the warranty provider is the manufacturer- who is that?. Look to see who the manufacturer uses and contact them. If it is the same insurer, then contact the manufacturer with your concerns. Although the responsible party is AD, most manufacturers sort out issues, either themselves or via agents

Thanks for the useful input.
I will continue to pursue the case on Monday.

Our work is self certified.
An invoice from the installer, complete with gas safe number on it, is probably the piece of paper they are after.

Everyone looks for a piece of paper these days!

Can't even take a dump without a piece of paper ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back