Landlord gas safety checks...need for flame failure cut off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Question to the unbiased gas engineers out there...Is it correct to disconnect a perfectly good gas fire...clear flue and been working, and passed tests for the lase 5 years, because it does not have a flame failure (thermocouple??) device. I have had a safety check and the gas fitter has cut of and bent the pipe cos it is missing a thermocouple. Have the rules changed recently....Europe regs and all?? thanks :?:

Sponsored Links
certain council employed firm with the initials RH and an appaulling track record by any chance?

the scumbags tried to condemn my old lady's cooker "because it didn't have a chain"
it has a stability bracket fitted correctly and sits in its own alcove in the kitchen!

Sponsored Links
what type of gas fire is it ?

how is it working without a thermocouple?

I am assuming that the thermocouple part of a OSD/ASD assembly (safety cut off)

can u give us some more information ?

on a side note bending over a bit of pipe is not a "suitable" means to cutting off a gas suppy

(EDIT) what other safety devices does the fire have ?

on a side note bending over a bit of pipe is not a "suitable" means to cutting off a gas suppy

I missed that bit - just call Gassafe and report his actions as he has left you with an unsafe situation if the bent pipe is still attached to the gas.

Which room in the house is it in? if a sitting Room then I can't see what the problem is there are plenty of Gas fires out there with no flame failure devices, however modern appliances do have FFD's but that is just progress! :confused:

thanks for your comments...the fire is in the lounge in front of the former open fire. it is sealed with the usual ally cover with a good updraught.
the gas engineer cut the pipe, bent it and capped the tap outlet...it is safe but disconnected. It has been used for years and the user is a responsible person. I want to know if the rules demand FFD's on all gas fires whether existing or new. I think he has overstepped his brief and is therby contributing to an increase in scrap fires and a reduction in my wallet ! haha. I like the criminal damage angle.

Is it correct to disconnect a perfectly good gas fire...clear flue and been working...

It may have been working, that does not mean it was safe.
and passed tests for the lase 5 years,

That means nothing.
I have condemned appliances on install faults that have been working for years, it all depends if the chap that checks them knows what he is doing

because it does not have a flame failure (thermocouple??) device. ...

Depends on the situation. In some cases it is perfectly ok, in others it is illegal.

On the whole, the man did you a favour; fires without safety devices are dangerous. Far worse than a possible gas escape, is the possibility of CO production without cut off.

Got to agree with bengasman, what were his reasons for disconnection?
It may of well been spilling fumes into room when tested, cracked heat box broken radiants.
What make of fire is it sounds like an old fire if it has no ffd.

If it was not meant to have any sort of flame failure or safety cut off device he cannot cut it off for not having one, if however it has been modified to run without then it is ID and his actions are correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back