Annual gas safety check -failure

Not uncommon for manufacturers to supply tape in order to protect air duct through wall...potterton being one manufacturer....tape supplied was never enough so not sure about the excess tape in photo.....possibly a 4" wall???:ROFLMAO:
Tape supplied was usually black..;)

Sponsored Links
If that boiler is a worcester Greenstar then that flue isn't a Worcester flue terminal. Looks to me like two differnt flues have been lashed together unless I'm mistaken.
I dont think they have Pablo to me looks like a flue inside a sleeve but wont say anything against the attending engineer as he has seen more than any of us, havent a clue why the grey tape is there

im with you here Pablo

the terminal is from a Potterton Promax HE, ive fitted loads of the things, and the flue has a metal inner and outer and is made from the toughest metal known to man as it takes such an effort to cut it. It's an odd size too, something like 110mm diameter and not telescopic either!
there are about three different flue types for Baxis which is another pain in the bum, the vertical flue and bends are different from the horizontal, from memory i think they're 125mm diameter, and the terminal was even bigger!!
the potterton promax combis had a telescopic flue with a plastic inner that was 100mm and the bends were different again

it was easy to get them mixed up when ordering flue accessories and the like and sometimes you could get different parts for the different flues they had turn up on site. maybe this is what's happened here?
to me this flue looks like its a mixture of two,

Thank you guys again. You can stop now. Quick update then. The Works clerk came over this morning, looked at the boiler & flue, agreed that it shouldn't have been taped, said
look liked it was a temporary job, that never got fixed. Inside does like flue parts have been mixed together, outside is ok, will find out why it was left like that and why it was never picked up before. Reassured me that there was no CO leaking, and that if it had, my CO detector whould have picked it up. Said I'd get a like for like combi, considering me & my building got it back in early 2003's and I'd get a new bathroom radiator too, since that was rusty.

Asked how long all this would like, he said about within 10 Days, Asbestos check has to be done first, and all that.

I guess I can't & shouldn't complain.

So thank you once again. It wa good to rant. And we can close this thread.

Thank you guys again. You can stop now. Quick update then. The Works clerk came over this morning, looked at the boiler & flue, agreed that it shouldn't have been taped, said
look liked it was a temporary job, that never got fixed. Inside does like flue parts have been mixed together, outside is ok, will find out why it was left like that and why it was never picked up before. Reassured me that there was no CO leaking, and that if it had, my CO detector whould have picked it up. Said I'd get a like for like combi, considering me & my building got it back in early 2003's and I'd get a new bathroom radiator too, since that was rusty.

Asked how long all this would like, he said about within 10 Days, Asbestos check has to be done first, and all that.

No, it's not enough pages!

Sponsored Links
it would be interesting to see the flue components as they are taking them out when it comes to getting the boiler swapped. take some pictures if you can and re-post

i'm pretty certain that they've used the wrong terminal section that is slightly larger (110mm) and taped it onto the smaller (100mm) flue and taped it together.

it would be interesting to see the flue components as they are taking them out when it comes to getting the boiler swapped. take some pictures if you can and re-post

i'm pretty certain that they've used the wrong terminal section that is slightly larger (110mm) and taped it onto the smaller (100mm) flue and taped it together.
Ok
Will
Do

Last edited:

Come on Emma, let's see if you can break the record!i

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back