Annual gas safety check -failure

Sponsored Links
OP , its hard to make decision really from what we see but the tape shouldn't be there anyway and being HA they sort off have their own rules regarding switching off .
out of interest ,has your property had a new outer skin (does it look new ) or new insulation added to the outside wall for which the flue might have been extended but poorly

Sponsored Links
I will be calling the council on Monday, but I don't want them to be saying it's nothing. If it is seriously dangerous, then surely someone needs to pay the consequences.
anyway the council will probably have this sorted on monday as they have duty of care for their tenants , have you got past certs ( a picture ? ) to compare.

Old tape will never stick again.

Have you never encountered any?

Yes..
Here we go again with the holier than though nonsense..
You know absoloutley nothing with regard to Hackney Council and how their teams operate.
I cover Hackney and Camden council as a mobile combustion engineer......As I said before I wouldn't trust you with my grandaughters dolls house..
......as for being one of top 100 gas man in the UK :ROFLMAO:....id rather employ an untrained chimp..:censored:
Was it not you that carried out a service/breakdown on a premix and set combustion in the range of 3.5% CO2 with boiler operating?????..you may fool the unqualified although you certainly don't fool the qualified..

Last edited:
It's a botch & not installed according to manufacturer's installation instructions...........regardless of service history it's a leaking flue & ID. Cap it off & f.ck off.

Don't beat around the bush, Sir Richard - say what you mean.....

Are you saying tape is an approved method of sealing the air duct
Don't beat around the bush, Sir Richard - say what you mean.....

As RGIs with Gas Safe it's our registration, reputation, Liberty & living at stake. GS change the rules all the time from one week to the next. So cap it.
The flue should be replaced urgently.

Actually Sir Richard, I preferred the short version!

Just doing a gentle bit of leg pulling.

image.jpeg
Hi guys, sorry been in bed with migraine. Don't know where to start. I'll try and answer all questions.
1) original flue was damaged from outside in 2012, so Council had to fit in new flue, and obviously the tape was put on then.
2) gas engineer did not take tape off to have a look, nor did he check it out from outside.
3) sorted ou my paperwork earlier in the year, and now can't remember where I put the previous gas certificates.
4) Am I wrong to be seeking compensation if I have been living in a hazardous condition, especially since I'm on the ground floor of a 5 story building. Not being greedy or anything, but surely this is Negligence?

Do you want to know the irony of the story, back in October 2012, the original part ordered took over 2 week to arrive, then it was discovered that the wrong part had been ordered & they had the correct part in storage after all.

If I haven't said THANKS before thank you.

Why should negligence demand compensation? A disciplinary for those who have made a mistake. However, you have not been in a position to need compensating.

Concentrate on getting the problem resolved rather than looking to profit.

You cannot normally claim compensation when no accident has occurred.

You are crossing the road and are not hit by any car being driven badly. No compensation.

Whilst we cannot see exactly what is under the tape, the outside of the flue pipe is the air intake so the worst that is ever likely is for some room air to be sucked into the boiler.

The gas regulations we work to are very stringent because they relate to safety. So if in doubt we are expected to turn it off!

Tony

4) Am I wrong to be seeking compensation if I have been living in a hazardous condition, especially since I'm on the ground floor of a 5 story building. Not being greedy or anything, but surely this is Negligence?
WHY , ??????????? are you or your family ill from it ????????? maybe you may be able to find some damp as well just in case you need some extra cash :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back