Theft of Gas Safety registration info?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the appropriation of genuine Gas Safety registration by others posing as being accredited particularly common?

Like many people looking for someone to install a new boiler, I am specifically targetting Gas Safety registered plumbers.

When I contacted one advertiser for a quote and asked for their registration number (freely advertised by others on the same websiter), they said they only issue it in person by showing their gas safety card when they come to the property.

They say this is because they've had their details stolen and used in the past.

It's also wake up call and good reminder to double check that a person really has the gas safety check by checking the card, then separately matching the details on the Gas Safety site to ensure its the same person.

But then what could a customer do if they did a double check of this type, only to discover that the card presented to them didn't correspond with the person listed on the Gas Safety website. And they were in your house?!

eeek....

Sponsored Links
Quick call to plod; assuming a false identity purporting to be a RGI, and thus working illegally on gas is a criminal offense.

If you advertise as being registered by law you have to show reg no. :!:
I think this is the responsibility of the ad printer (newspaper, yellow pages etc).

Who says you have to show your number.???

After all the stickers gas safe send out for van say your registered but dont have your number on them. Thats advertising

Sponsored Links
I have encountered three cases that I can remember when I have come across that and spoken to the genuine registered person.

One knew about it and said he had told CORGI but thought it was all a laugh!

Another was very concerned indeed!

Another said it was his cousin ( and also his cousin's son ) and that he had told CORGI and he no longer spoke to his cousin.

I spoke seperately to the last two and amusingly the father and son both gave the same name ( of the registered person ) but seemed not to realise the son had London accent and the father a strong Jamacian accent!

Not surprisingly that last warrantee boiler fault was actually an installer's error which cost the home owner £84 for my visit.

Tony

Quick call to plod; assuming a false identity purporting to be a RGI, and thus working illegally on gas is a criminal offense.

That is the case for a policeman, medical doctor and perhaps a solicitor but I think you will find it does not apply to any other profession. Odd I agree!

In the case of a doctor I think it only applies if you actually practice as a doctor and treat a patient. If you just log into a hotel then thats no crime as long as you pay the bill.

Tony

That is the case for a policeman, medical doctor and perhaps a solicitor but I think you will find it does not apply to any other profession. Odd I agree!
Trading standards have prosecuted for it.

Yes, I agree they can but that is a civil matter not a police arrestable criminal offence.

You can be arrested if you impersonate an officer of the law or practice as a doctor when not licenced.

I was stopped in Watford late one night and as identity produced my CORGI card but the officer told me he will not accept a CORGI card as proof of my identity. I just replied that it proves that I am qualified to work on his gas boiler! I never produced anything else but he did breathalise me ( neg ). A total idiot but then who would want to work as a policeman in Watford?

Tony

Yes, I agree they can but that is a civil matter not a police arrestable criminal offence.
Not paying a fine, making racist comments and driving offenses are just about the only things you get arrested for these days.
Plod may not arrest the cowboy, but will remove him safely from scene.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back