Competent Person

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just completed a full renovation on an empty flat. The last job to do was connect the gas hob. It was the last job because it's taken months to find a gas engineer to quote for the job (others stopped responding when I asked about providing an invoice, or confirming their Gas Safety number). So I hired the only firm that quoted and then had to wait 3 weeks for availability. Unfortunately they discovered that the gas hob itself was leaking inside. I asked them to disconnect and cap the supply.

I also asked if they could take the hob away to investigate if it could be repaired. They said they don't usually do that type of work, which is fair enough.

They said it could be a loose compression fitting, but if it's a faulty valve - a replacement could be difficult to obtain. They advised the best thing would be to chuck the hob and fit a new one, and I would totally agree - normally!

The complication is that I've just sold the property and have an agreed completion date within the next 2 weeks. It's a nice looking 5-burner hob, and a close-up shot formed one of the main photos of the property on Rightmove. So I would like to avoid making such a significant change, if at all possible, which may prompt an already shaky buyer and pedantic conveyancer to pull out of the sale completely. It's a discontinued Baumatic hob, and new replacements are no longer available.

So what I'd like to do is take the hob home, open it up, check for loose compression fittings, and somehow test it for air tightness (maybe with a foot pump and leak detection fluid?) before hiring the same firm to connect and retest again.

I've read the rules on this and as far as I can see I would need to be a competent person before I can open up the hob on a workbench. Could anyone kindly confirm the minimum certification required for obtaining 'competent person' status sufficient for opening the hob on a workbench?

Sponsored Links
FFS! A hob won't be a deal breaker!
If solicitor mentions it, tell them to do one... Wanna get a life.

NOFA.

Most people who buy a house strip the entire kitchen quite quickly, even if it's brand new!

Technically the requirement is to be GSR registered, and for hobs.

If I were in your spot I would get the hob changed for a £75 one and take the other home. If the buyer kicks off you could test it on a bench, with leak detection fluid, probably finding a faulty valve. If a loose nut - very unlikely - call a fitter. The pressure is very low - blow into it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your having the hob reconnected by a gsr I'd take it apart and look at it myself, yes it's supposed to be done by a gsr but what's it really matter as if a gsr is refitting it then it will be properly checked for any leaks anyway so the risk is minimal

So what I'd like to do is take the hob home, open it up, check for loose compression fittings, and somehow test it for air tightness (maybe with a foot pump and leak detection fluid?) before hiring the same firm to connect and retest again.

I've read the rules on this and as far as I can see I would need to be a competent person before I can open up the hob on a workbench. Could anyone kindly confirm the minimum certification required for obtaining 'competent person' status sufficient for opening the hob on a workbench?

Get on with it, what is the risk - NIL, if a qualified enginner will be testing it once installed. I don't see a need for the manufacturers to generally employ gas qualified engineers on the production line. Be careful with your pressure testing after the repair using a bike pump, gas pressure is just a few millibar.

If your having the hob reconnected by a gsr I'd take it apart and look at it myself, yes it's supposed to be done by a gsr but what's it really matter as if a gsr is refitting it then it will be properly checked for any leaks anyway so the risk is minimal
Good luck getting any one to re-fit a 2nd hand hob , never mind one you have been messing around with, I certainly wouldnt go any where near it

Get on with it, what is the risk - NIL, if a qualified enginner will be testing it once installed. I don't see a need for the manufacturers to generally employ gas qualified engineers on the production line. Be careful with your pressure testing after the repair using a bike pump, gas pressure is just a few millibar.
No manufacturers will not employ gas safe registered engineers to work in the production line, however they will be able to produce a declaration of conformity, or a UKCA.

No manufacturers will not employ gas safe registered engineers to work in the production line, however they will be able to produce a declaration of conformity, or a UKCA.

Well obviously if the OP finds the leak and it turns out to be from a union, rather than wear and tear, the declaration was meaningless.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The DIYnot post regarding DIY gas is here:

The article states:
Diy gas work is not illegal, BUT, the law does require that only competent people may work on gas appliances.

If you can prove competence, you are allowed legally to diy gas in your own home.
This does not however, apply to doing gas work for family and friends even if without charge. (This has been confirmed by the HSE)

Competence is only proven by passing ACS exams and having the appropriate equipment and ability to carry out certain safety tests required by law.

I've bought a pack of balloons and leak detection fluid. I would like to put the hob on a workbench, open it up, tighten any loose compression fittings, and use an inflated balloon on the end of the inlet pipe and LDF to check for any leaks. Then hire the same gas safe registered firm to refit and retest the hob.

What doesn't seem to be covered in much detail is what are the minimum qualification(s) I would need to have in order to be classed as a competent person in order to perform the above workbench task. Some replies above have said full GSR required, but then surely the article would have stated that?

So I'm curious and would like to get to the bottom of what is required to achieve competent person status.

I've found the following course which seems sufficient (though obviously not financially viable for the single task I have in mind):
Domestic ACS Package (Initial) – CCN1 & Appliances
£ 829.17 +VAT
4 DAY COURSE

Would a course like that be the absolute minimum requirement? Or is there something more basic available for the task I've mentioned above?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back