Gas hob installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an old freestanding gas cooker with a gas hob and electric oven.

the freestanding cooker was connected via a flexible rubber hose as in this photo:

My gas feed is a 15mm copper pipe and the fitting on the gas hob is a 1/2" size.

The hob instructions states a rigid connection is required.
Can I verify that this is what the corgi man will do:

1. Cut the 15mm copper pipe.
2. Insert an isolation gas valve from 15mm to 1/2"
3. Then, insert a 1/2" copper pipe from valve to hob ?

Not sure of step three.

Would it be possible for me to do all the connections and ask building control to inspect it for a fee ? I did a similar thing with a complete rewiring, then provided BC with an electrical certificate I obtained from an electrician and got approved.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
I doubt BC would be prepared to come out just for a hob.

To diy you have to be "competent" which would mean satisfying all the requirements, and the knowledge and kit to test what you'd done.
Probably simpler to get a local Corgi guy.

My question is this, do you know how to test gas installations for gas tightness? If the answer is no get an RGI.

I've got a gas leak spray tester, you spray on the compression connections and if no bubbles appear you are ready to rock !

Sponsored Links
I've got a gas leak spray tester, you spray on the compression connections and if no bubbles appear you are ready to rock !

Thats not your diluted fairy washing up liquid mix per chance? :LOL: ;)

Dont you have to do a gas tightness test at the meter?

That does not meet the requirements of the Gas Safety and Use Regulations 1998 !

You are clearly not competent to do gas work!

I didn't suggest that I am competent to do gas work, I placed a simple installation question and noone seemed to have answered it yet!.

Anyway, I am not a competent electrician either but I did rewire the whole property and obtained a certificate from an electrician as well as a completion certificate from building control....

good for you but when it comes to understanding gas you are a muppet if you thnk ldf satisfies any gas requirement

I'm sorry but I didn't ask people to evaluate whether I am a competent gas installer or not.

I placed three possible steps for a gas hob installation. Is this what would a corgi man do or what would you do.

Everyone so far seemed to have had a bad weekend...!

if i told you i would have to klll namsag with sharpened safety matches, and he wouldnt want that.

Feking right im having a bad weekend parking the car in a hurry to get out to the pub reversed to close to a van and ripped my door mirror clean off and smashed the back light of the van.

Van driver very understanding and a really really nice guy said don`t worry mate easily done.
Must stop speaking to myself in public ,it was my own feking van i hit so will be searching ebay for the bits tomorrow as im not paying £250 for a mirror :cry: :cry:

But in reply if you have to ask a simple question such as point 3 should you really be trying it .
Majority of leaks on internals are from poor hob connections its not a hard job but loads get it wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back