Replacing a freestanding gas hob with an Integrated one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of renovating our kitchen, we are getting rid of a freestanding gas/ oven with an integrated 5-in-1 gas cooker only (no oven).

1. The current freestanding gas cooker/ oven is connected to gas supply with a flexible rubber hose with a bayonet connection. Can a new similar flexible hose be used with an integrated gas hob?

2. Since the power cord is going to be hidden with the integrated one, I don't think it will reach the power socket where the freestanding one was connected. Although a spur can be added in the base unit, just wondered if there is a way to extend the standard 1m power cord that comes with the new gas hob?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. Normally no. It depends on the manufacturer's instructions. If they state it can be used with a flexible connecter, then OK, but most say it must be a rigid connection. In any even the connection to the hob must be made by a Gas Safe Registered engineer (with a cooker qualification). It cannot be made by anyone else.

2. The best way to extend is to remove the new appliances power cord and wire in a new one of the correct length and power rating. However, with most manufacturers this will invalidate the warranty. Best long term bet is to install a socket or a double pole switched connector within reach of the supplied cable.

as above, a cooker hose can be used if allowed by the manufacturer and not behind an oven. Oven will be to hot for hose. the hose will need to hang free and not be at risk of damage due to draws etc....
all in all the best solution in most cases is solid pipework.

also if no oven under neath you will probably need a barrier between bottom of hob and draw/cupboard space.

get a gas safe engineer in to ensure its done correctly and working safe.

Thanks for your replies. I've 1 more question:

Is it OK to have a DP switched 2 gang socket + pattress box installed inside (on the wooden body) of the base cabinets (not drawers)?

This option if OK will help me get the cooker and extractor fan installed perfectly within the reach of their original power cables.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Not just get a gas engineer to check its done correctly.

All gas connections must ONLY be done by a gas engineer.

A user can only connect and disconnect an existing hose bayonet fitting from the socket for cleaning etc.

Tony

Hi Tony,

The bayonet socket would be about 50 cm away from new gas hob. Any idea how much should the gas engineer charge?

Would you know anything about the electrical socket question that I asked above?

Not just get a gas engineer to check its done correctly.

All gas connections must ONLY be done by a gas engineer.

A user can only connect and disconnect an existing hose bayonet fitting from the socket for cleaning etc.

Tony

probably did not word it that well but i did mean get an engineer to do the "work" not just check it after its done :) . I would hope any GSR engineer would not be stupid enough to just check/ commission somebody elses install but we know its done by some.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back