Hob fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas hob which has a 1/2 inch male fitting. What fitting will fit a 15mm copper pipe to the hob?

regards

sott

Sponsored Links
You have to use correct compound aswell, such as gas ptfe (unsintered) or rocol paste. Hopefully the hob male iron is tapered as for gas it ought to be, and you are best to get a tapered 1/2" female iron to 15mm either compression or soldered.

Anyway, you are lucky the crap my customers buy has a not quite 8 mm pipe with a preforced crapo olive made of some sort of aluminium or something psotioned at a rediculous angle to be of any use whatsoever with a rubbish fitting already overtightened in the factory but cross threaded. Or worse still they buy ex display and I am provided with an incomplete hob to perform miracles with.

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
Hopefully the hob male iron is tapered as for gas it ought to be, and you are best to get a tapered 1/2" female iron to 15mm either compression or soldered.
The problem is that many hobs have parallel male threaded connections, and female threads are always parallel threaded, so you end up with two parallel threads and a poor seal.

I wouldn't advise anyone to do this themselves. Too easy to end up with a leaking joint. And there are other points to consider apart from the gas connection. Get a Corgi in.

Chris when people see a hob, they see ways of saving money by doing it themselves.

I have yet to fit a hob that has been a doddle. What with oven fouling the gas pipe which then needs to be routed to clear back of the oven. Rarely see a stop cock fitted either.

Most buyers of hobs think it is a 10 minute job. Same story with LFE fires sourced from B&Q. Worst still is B&Q LFE fire and that horrible laminate fire surround.

correct me if im wrong , but has law changed to allow us to use cooker hose on hob if temp is below certain level in cabinet below.

Some MI's state that cooker hoses can now be used on hobs. Still do it in copper though. Stoves are the only manufacturer that come to mind that use 1/4inch fittings most are now 1/2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back