Removing gas hob for replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a built in gas hob in my kitchen, and I intend to replace it with a freestanding gas cooker.

Now I intend to get the new cooker installed by an gas safe engineer, but inbetween removing the old built in unit and installing the new one I need to do some other work to level out my floor.

What I'm trying to avoid is having to pay for someone to come out twice, once to disconnect, and once again to connect.

The old hob is connected by what looks like 15mm copper, with a brass wing nut type isolating valve inbetween.

Do I have to get a gas safe engineer in to remove the old hob, or can I just turn the gas off, turn the isolator off and then remove the hob myself?

It'll likely be 2 to 3 days between removing the old and fitting the new.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

I have a built in gas hob in my kitchen, and I intend to replace it with a freestanding gas cooker.

Now I intend to get the new cooker installed by an gas safe engineer, but inbetween removing the old built in unit and installing the new one I need to do some other work to level out my floor.

What I'm trying to avoid is having to pay for someone to come out twice, once to disconnect, and once again to connect.

The old hob is connected by what looks like 15mm copper, with a brass wing nut type isolating valve inbetween.

Do I have to get a gas safe engineer in to remove the old hob, or can I just turn the gas off, turn the isolator off and then remove the hob myself?

It'll likely be 2 to 3 days between removing the old and fitting the new.

Thanks

Unfortunately yes, two visits will be required. It's a simple enough job so any RGI should be able to give you a quote over the phone.
HTH

You should really get a quote for both parts of the job ( and pay for the first part then! ).

I would be quoting about £35 for first part and about £75 for the second to include the new cooker hose and bayonet socket.

That's if there was flexibility for me to come as convenient. Not at laid down times!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'm going to call a gas safe registered chap who lives round the corner today, so those price ranges really will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back