Removal of redundant gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just a quick question...

We have a huge 6 plate gas hob which takes up most of the kitchen, but doesn't work properly (its about 20 years old and only one hob works!)

The old built in electric oven has been replaced with a free standing electric cooker which has a ceramic hob on top, therefore the seperate gas hob is redundant.

Now - the question is, am I able to switch off the gas and then cap the pipe to the old hob so I can remove it, or is that classed as a job for a professional?

(I haven't yet investigated if there is a seperate stop cock to the supply as it's routed behind the cupboards)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can do whatever you want in your house (that means gas as well). but responsibilty to do it right falls on your broad sholders. If things go belly up, your insurance could be null and void, so a pro route would be better.

ooooh...tccchhhh DP is going to get the RIG's shouting at him... :LOL:

AFAIK the capping off of the pipe ought to be done by a pro, once thats done you can do what you want with the hob.

New worktop et all.

OK - well, I'll play it safe...

I've had a look and there is no stop cock that I can see so I'll hit the yellow pages.

Thanks people :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back