Gas hob supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I removed an old electric oven the other day....getting a new oven and gas hob. The oven I can replace and of course I will get corgi to sort the hob, but I wanted to know if I'll end up paying for the gas pipe to be moved also.

The gas pipe runs up behind the oven to the hob, it seems very close to the oven......is that ok, is there not a minimum distance for safety?

Thanks
Adam[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Generally, the gas pipe should be about 25 mm from any electrical cable or appliance so that heat is not a problem. Thats not usually a problem with an electric oven as they are designed to not present dangerous temperatures on their outsides. Its rather in the judgement of the RGI.

Most RGIs ( now Gas-Safe rather than CORGI ) dont charge too much for connecting a hob unit as long as the gas supply is within 1m of the hob. I usually charge about £65. Its a little less than the work usually deserves but can hopefully lead to further boiler repairs etc.

Tony

Most RGIs ( now Gas-Safe rather than CORGI ) dont charge too much for connecting a hob unit as long as the gas supply is within 1m of the hob. I usually charge about £65. Its a little less than the work usually deserves but can hopefully lead to further boiler repairs etc.

Tom, I suspect you will pay a little more than £65, but does depend on the area. Strip out the vat, isolation valve and a couple of quid for tube, and trheres not much left.
Only a lunatic does a cheap job in the hope that he may get the offer of more cheap work

Sponsored Links
Most RGIs ( now Gas-Safe rather than CORGI ) dont charge too much for connecting a hob unit as long as the gas supply is within 1m of the hob.

That is a statement painted with a broom rather than a paintbrush. It is immetrial where the gas pipe is. Sometimes the pipe can be found within the oven cabinet but cannot be used as is, othertimes it can run behind the oven subject to what the instructions say, then there are times when pipe needs to run within a space with adequate clearance present. There is also a need to fit a stop valve not forgetting the tricky connection to the hob. Charges are time it takes (no slacking and time wasteing please) and material (that should be on hand when carrying out the task- non of this Mrs-need-to-pop-over-to-get-some-material lark either). No two oven+hob setup are the same, so pipe run can and does vary as will time taken to complete that task and material required

I suspect our Tony is making the statement based on him carrying a small toolbag with bare essential and commuting by bus. If travelling in his Volvo shooting brake, I think charge would be more like £85.00 or no fix no fee :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back