Gas hob fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas hob exploded today. Scared the living ££££ out of the OH! One of the nobs blew off and hit the ceiling and so did one of the burner rings. I've isolated gas and electric.

My question goes like this.

The hob needs to be replaced. At the moment it's a 4 ring burner and the fitting is at the bottom, rear right of the hob. Are the fitting positions standard?

Reason for asking. The cheapest option would be to replace like with like if the fitting is the same. But if I'm likely to need new pipe work anyway, I might get a 5 ring hob instead.

Help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I've not got the answer to you question, but a risk assesment.

5 ring hobs tend to be 70cm or above. I am presuming you currently have a 60cm hob. Will the new, possibly larger hob be within regs with regard to wall cupboard distances?

I have no idea. There is currently about 15cms from the left edge to the side of the cooker, and about 30 cm's on the right edge to the beginning of a wall mounted cupboard. Your right in that the current unit is 60cm's. Will that keep me within regs?

I asked about distances and CBF posted the following.
Unless the manufacturer's instructions state otherwise:

hot_plate_clearances_diagram.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF
Sponsored Links
I do hope that you are going to get a gas reg person to do the gas connections.

If its a flat or maisonette then you MUST have flame failure devices on each burner. Even in a house its a good idea.

Tony

I am going to get a gas reg person in to do it. I wouldn't mess with gas with my children sleeping in the house.

Hence my question. We're pretty skint at the moment and if it's going to elevate the cost of labour by putting a 5 ring burner in, i'll stick with a 4 ring. maybe you can answer my original q?

If you can do the woodwork to extend the hole in the surface AND if cupboards above give adequate clearance for a wider hob then the cost of connection is not likely to be much different.

I do gas hob connections for about £65 as a bit of a loss leader to discourage DIYers from attempting gas work.

Tony

Thanks for that. The one that's there looks like it's been plumbed in properly, with a stopcock and everything, which allowed me to isolate the hob easily.
Between the stop and the hob is a screwed connection.

I'm considering undoing this myself so i can lift the old hob off and prepare the work surface to accept the new hob before the gas fitter comes in.

Just had a measure up and I clear the units adequately, however there is a wall socket which, with a 70 cm hob, will be pretty close.

What regs refer to plug socket proximity to hob on back wall?

do not disconnect the hob yourself, you will then in effect have an open end. Your best option will be a hob of the same size. If there is no oven underneath it will probably require a non combustale barrier to whatever is underneath. Most hob require this but many dont fit them unfortunalty.

plug socket has not exact regs from memory, common sense/ engineering judgement is required. Ie if steam or water can go near the socket then its a no no.

Thanks for that. The one that's there looks like it's been plumbed in properly, with a stopcock and everything, which allowed me to isolate the hob easily.
Between the stop and the hob is a screwed connection.

I'm considering undoing this myself so i can lift the old hob off and prepare the work surface to accept the new hob before the gas fitter comes in.

One would assume you have a gas leak the build up of gas when you attempted to light hob then ignited.
Turning of the isolation tap may not of stopped this it could be on or before stop tap.
Also disconnecting hob would result in an open end at stop tap big no no !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back