Replacing Gas Cooker Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

our four buner Gas Cooker hob is quite worn out, after 25 years of use. The gas on the front two cookers has reduced, however the rear two is fine, as they were used less.

I want to replace this. But I am not sure what size I need.

The measurement of the cooker is 58cm width wise, on the outside.

I would like a five ring burner, however they require you to make the area bigger. So I am sticking with a 4 ring burner.

However, do I need a Gas Safe engineer to install this for me?

If so, what would be the typical cost for this type of job?

The one I have seen and like is a black Indesit 4 hob burner - PIM 640 AS.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you do need a gassafe installer.
To remove the old hob, fit the new one in place and alter the supplies to suit and to bring to current standards, expect to pay up to £100.

Yes, you do need a gassafe installer.
To remove the old hob, fit the new one in place and alter the supplies to suit and to bring to current standards, expect to pay up to £100.

Thanks, I've called an engineer who is coming today to give me a quote.

Is there anything I should be looking out for in terms of what he should do as a fitter?

height of the cupboard or extractor above, hobs vary with this dimension so the installer will need to know this figure, just because your exsisting hob maybe ok or NCS the new one must comply with the MI

Sponsored Links
height of the cupboard or extractor above, hobs vary with this dimension so the installer will need to know this figure, just because your exsisting hob maybe ok or NCS the new one must comply with the MI

what is NCS and MI??

NCS is a gas industry term. MI is Manufacturers Instructions, which should always be followed.

If he can spare the time to come and visit you just to give a quote on a cheap job then he cannot have much work to do when most are rushed off their feet keeping people warm.

I just quote about £65 on the phone if the woodwork does not need to be adjusted.

If he can spare the time to come and visit you just to give a quote on a cheap job then he cannot have much work to do when most are rushed off their feet keeping people warm.

I just quote about £65 on the phone if the woodwork does not need to be adjusted.

I did ask him to quote me over the phone, but he insisted on coming. Which is fine by me.

£65 is ok, abit steep, but then again it is what it is.

I am expecting him to quote me around £100 or £150.

I am surprised you think £65 is a "bit high".

Its a two hour job with the travelling and parking etc.

Its intended to be a bit low to discourage DIY efforts at gas work.

Someone who insists on coming to give a quote is then making two visits instead of one!

unless it's something like a tap washer (which won't need a quote anyway), i look at EVERY job before pricing it

I always have a look at a job at a mutually convenient time for me n the customer. Square pegs round holes. Don't do gas, but I collaborate with a man who does! Same principle applies when replacing inset sinks.... one needs to make sure that the existing ole int worktop isn't too big and the replacement new one will drop through. A single bowl isn't being replaced with a bowl n half or twin drainer. Coz this neccesitaes removing more worktop and possibly ammending (ahem, butchering) the base units to facilitate drop in. Not to mention the fact that there may built under/built in appliances either side of the sink base unit!!?? I agree, better to have a site visit/consultation before just giving out a quote oert 'phone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back