Greenstar 24i junior & no gas for cooker!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had our old combi replaced by a Greenstar 24i junior boiler. Originally, the kitchen had a free standing gas cooker plus the combi boiler.

We were going to have a gas hob and an electric built-in oven. Our gas fitter says that there is not enough gas supply into the kitchen to have a supply for the hob. His reasoning was: 100,000 btu is supplied by the existing pipes, the boiler uses up 80,000 btu and the remainder 20,000 btu is not enough for the hob. I remained baffled.

I would be grateful if someone can help me understand the problem. I thought the free standing cooker would have required more gas to cook than a four ring hob.

Sponsored Links
Length of pipe + number of bends + the appliances and the size of the existing gas pipe.

Then I/we can tell you.

My guestimates on doitall's questions:

length: 5m
bends: 2
appliances: boiler
gas pipe: 22mm

Awaiting the response with bated breath

I would expect that there is !

What I would do is to measure the gas pressure loss through the pipes to the boiler at full power and see what further capacity there is to supply the hob. You are allowed a pressure drop of 1 mB in the supply pipe.

There is an easy solution and that is to run a seperate 15 mm supply from the meter to the hob, not a massive job!

Tony

Sponsored Links
bb48 said:
My guestimates on doitall's questions:

length: 5m
bends: 2
appliances: boiler
gas pipe: 22mm

Awaiting the response with bated breath

Boiler in question requires 2.76 m³/hr
Cooker requires on average 0.8 m³/hr

Total gas flow rate = 3.56 m³/hr

length of gas pipe 5m plus 2 bends 0.3 ea = total length of 5.6 m

6m of 22mm pipe will discharge 5.8 m³/hr
9m of 22mm pipe will discharge 4.6 m³/hr

in other words you have plenty for the hob

sounds like your cooker man can't use a calculator. Tell him to go back to school :!:

Thank you everyone for your comments and for allowing me to understand the situation.

Next time my wife wants things upgraded in the kitchen or the bathroom, I know where to look for good advice and hopefully avoid problems.

If she comes up with some undoable ideas and rather than getting started and ending up in tears, i will be able to say "the computer says no! "

bb48 said:
Thank you everyone for your comments and for allowing me to understand the situation.

Next time my wife wants things upgraded in the kitchen or the bathroom, I know where to look for good advice and hopefully avoid problems.

If she comes up with some undoable ideas and rather than getting started and ending up in tears, i will be able to say "the computer says no! "

Not sure by that comment you understood the above figures bb48 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You have plenty of gas for your hob, if you want one. :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back