Gas Hob - Poor Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, we have just replaced an old Indesit gas hob with a dual fuel Stoves cooker. Have to admit that I am slightly dissappointed with the control sensitivity for the gas hob. Basically there is full flame when the controls reach about 50% travel. Its the same for all 4. After that there is no change. It was similar on the the old Indesit.

Is this likely to be a household gas pressure issue or something to do with the cooker?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi Pete, in case you are implying that I did it myself, I didn't and I did use a GasSafe installer, but I wasn't in when he did it, the form was signed off by my wife. I have a Gas Safety Inspection Report with no comment in relation to the gas controls on the cooker.

The intention of my post was to get a view on whether this is likely to be a gas pressure issue that might be fixable or crap contros on the cooker which can't.

Basically there is full flame when the controls reach about 50% travel. Its the same for all 4. After that there is no change. It was similar on the the old Indesit.

Is this likely to be a household gas pressure issue or something to do with the cooker?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Does that not suggest to you that its the way most cooker controls operate?

To help you, I have just checked the Stoves Precission 1100 range dual fuel here and its as you describe! The control is over about 60° between 7 oc and 9 oc !

Tony

Sponsored Links
It's probably because manufacturers make the same hob to work on natural gas and lpg so the gas taps have to work over a wide range of pressures. The result being poor control.

On my hob the gas tap only really operates for about a 1/3 of the range.

Was the working pressure checked...perhaps it's too high, if there's a minimum flame setting was this adjusted?

Ok, thanks for the replies. It seems to point to poor controls though without your input I could not have concluded that, it could I suppose be a pressure problem at my house.

I'm not aware of the gas pressure being checked this time though I do recall that the engineer that serviced the boiler last year did investigate pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back