Which freestanding DF cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My freestanding Zanissi electric oven has failed a few times, and I think it's time to replace.

The electric oven is brilliant, but the hob awful. Previously, I had a cheap freestanding Indesit gas oven and whilst the oven was terrible, the hob was excellent. So I fancy a dual-fuel replacement, for the best of both.

But what do I buy? The gap is the standard 60 cm.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in the dual-fuel freestanding market. Looks like Indesit-type junk at the bottom end (no chance!), then it moves to Hotpoint (any good?), then Cannon (part of Hotpoint?), then NewWorld, Smeg and Stoves.

I do not want a piece of junk. I've got an old Bosch washer, which is much better than the Indesit one I has previously. And I have a Miele vacuum cleaner, which is marvellous. Seems neither of those companies do freestanding cookers. :)

Do I need to avoid Hotpoint? Anything to choose between NewWorld, Smeg and Stoves?

Thanks,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
Personally have always been happy with Stoves. We replaced our Stoves built-in double oven with a 900mm Stoves dual-fuel range-style a couple of years ago purely as we were redoing the kitchen but it was in full working order and have had no problems with the current model either.

The Cannon Harrogate came out very well in Which tests. So did the Hotpoint HUD... (something) which is apparently rebadged and cosmetically different, but the same cooker from the same factory.

I used to have a dual-fuel Zanussi, it had a single, bigger oven than the Harrogate, and two large, one medium, one tiny gas ring. The Harrogate has two large and two medium rings.

The Harrogate oven door hinges sideways. Mine has catalytic linings in the main oven.

Sponsored Links
I see what you mean about the Csnnon vs Hotpoint - they do indeed look identical.

So it's just under £450 for the Hotpoint. Or £500 for New World. Or £620 for Smeg/Stoves. Then it's Smeg up to £950.

I'm leaning towards Stoves. I like the idea that it's made here, and I have a feeling (which may be totally unjustified) that Smeg are style-over-substance.

With the comment on the gas ring sizes, maybe I should take some pans down to Currys and see a few in the flesh! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back