Using a built under oven as a freestanding cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , I am having a new kitchen in January and I am having a separate hob and a built in oven installed. My cooker at the moment is a freestanding electric cooker, however it has broken.

So, my question is, as I already have the separate hob and built in oven in storage waiting to be fitted in January, can I use them in the mean time without being installed, like a freestanding cooker? Thanks in advance,
Carrots.

Sponsored Links
The hob presumably will have to be fitted into a piece of worktop to keep it steady and safe. The oven should go into a special cabinet - otherwise you can't open the door properly.

The hob presumably will have to be fitted into a piece of worktop to keep it steady and safe. The oven should go into a special cabinet - otherwise you can't open the door properly.

Sorry to be a dumb blonde but what do you mean about the door not opening properly? I know it will be going into an oven housing unit when the kitchen is done , but why won't it open if it's not in a housing unit? Also can't the hob just sit on top of the oven until the worktops are added when the new kitchen is done? I know it will look weired but it will only be temporary otherwise I will have to go out and buy a new freestanding cooker and I can't afford that and it will be a shame as I have already spent money on the hob and built in oven.

The installation manual will give you airflow clearances around the oven , if you can maintain these gaps then there will be no problems except you will need to make sure it is straight and not sat at an angle

I personally wouldn't put the hob on top of the oven but use a table instead or it will not be fun taking things out of the oven whilst you're using the hob

Sponsored Links
The installation manual will give you airflow clearances around the oven , if you can maintain these gaps then there will be no problems except you will need to make sure it is straight and not sat at an angle

I personally wouldn't put the hob on top of the oven but use a table instead or it will not be fun taking things out of the oven whilst you're using the hob

Thanks for reply, yes there will be plenty of space around the oven for airflow. I suppose the hob would be a bit wobbly and dangerous sat directly on top of oven,I probably won't use the hob until it is installed in the worktop properly. I will just use the microwave and an electric plug in 3 tier steamer for things I would normally cook on hob.

There is nothing stopping you putting the hob onto the existing work top as a temporary measure or even chopping a hole and dropping it in , as long as your work top is getting replaced of course!

Will you be wiring the hob and oven into the existing oven circuit?
Yes, at least the oven will be wired into where the broken cooker is wired into. Not sure about the hob, I think I will have to get an adapter so that it too can be wired into the same place as the oven. The most important thing is being able to use the oven, I can go without the hob until it can be fitted properly by the kitchen fitters in January.

There is nothing stopping you putting the hob onto the existing work top as a temporary measure or even chopping a hole and dropping it in , as long as your work top is getting replaced of course!
Good idea, yes the worktops will be replaced.

Do you know the wattage of your new oven?

You will probably be able to pop a plug on it and plug it in to your kitchen sockets (as long as the wattage is less than 3000 watts )

The hob will need to be wired into the existing cooker circuit however

Do you know the wattage of your new oven?

You will probably be able to pop a plug on it and plug it in to your kitchen sockets (as long as the wattage is less than 3000 watts )

The hob will need to be wired into the existing cooker circuit however

No I don't know the wattage as it is in storage at the moment so I won't know until I pick it up. I hope it is less than 3000 watts then. Thanks for that info, if I can plug it into a socket then it would be easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back