Gas hob - automatic extraction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a new gas hob which I am having professionally fitted. I thought it would be a straightforward replacement for the old hob. However the instruction book says that the room must be fitted with an air extraction system i.e cooker hood or extractor fan that starts automatically when the appliance is switched on.

I have an electric cooker hood, but this is manually switched on i.e with a switch in the hood. Is this acceptable, or do I do I now have to go to the trouble of a rewiring job to wire in the hob with the extractor?

If i left it manually switched, would it be possible that the gas engineer would refuse to fit the hob when he arrived?

Sponsored Links
Building regs just ask for an extractor fan of a certain volumetric capacity nothing about being linked to the gas hob, I have never seen a domestic hob linked to a fan b4.
Pete

any hob i have see just reqs an openable window if above a certain room volume , but if man inst say it it must be done it must be done.

whistler said:
Iinstruction book says that the room must be fitted with an air extraction system i.e cooker hood or extractor fan that starts automatically when the appliance is switched on.

That's a new one on me too :confused:

Sponsored Links
The hob is a Hotpoint GQ64S Its a nice glass model but I cant see why it should have different requirements than any other hob.

The manual seems to imply that its building regs that require the auto extraction

Sent an email to Hotpoint querying this and they have replied that this is a requirment for some European countries, but not applicable to UK. But of course it doesn't make that clear in the installation manual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back