Gas hob clearances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - hope you can help :D

I'm going to be fitting a new gas hob in the worktop over my oven (don't worry - Mr.Corgi will be doing the pipework and connection) but I'm a little confused as to the clearance requirements around the hob.

From the manual it states that I need 55mm to the rear of the hob, 50mm either side and 400mm upwards to adjacent combustibles, 100mm to the side to an adjacent cabinet or wall and 700mm directly overhead to either a cupboard or extractor hood.

All of this I understand.

Here's my question (finally) - it shows a 600mm gap between the adjacent overhead cupboards, therefore logic dictates that the hob would be a maximum of 500mm wide to accommodate the 50mm clearances.

My hob has the controls along the right hand side, and is 580mm wide - do the clearances apply to the entire hob or just the section containing the burners? :confused:

Edit: Just read the manual again and it states that if the adjacent overhead cabinets are more than 420mm above the hob, they can be fitted inline with the edges. Does this sound right?

Sponsored Links
If that is taken from the manufacturers instructions the yeas it is correct. There is a new British Standard that the 50mm clearance has to be taken up to the wall units, but most manufacturers instructions are flaunting that standard.

Manufacturers instructions overule British Stabdards because they have been given aproval to make the product in the EU and safe is what they say it is.

However, they aren't going to support you if a fire burns down your house.

Personally I would actually design my kitchen around the current standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back