Gas Hob + Canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm just designing our new kitchen and I have a question ...

The gas hob I like is 70cm wide (5 burner) and the canopy which comes in the range of units the wife has chosen is 80cm wide and will house a 60cm extractor.

Assuming that the wall units either side of the canopy are fitted at or above the minimum height of 46cm from the worktop, will there be enough clearance between the hob and the wall units?

The kitchen on display at the outlet had a 4 burner hob which has loads of clearance.

I'm guessing it'll be okay as I've seen many 60cm hobs sat under 60cm canopies but thought I'd check with the experts.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, your OK.

The standards have been revised recently to allow this. There is a requirement for an additional 50mm side clearance vertically upwards from the edge of the hob up to 460mm and above this height the clearance to 760mm applies only to the actual width of the hob.

Previously I think the 50mm side clearance applied to the full height of 760mm which made for some odd looking wall unit / cooker hood arrangements. So sometimes changes to regulations make sense!

Thanks Chris, I wasn't looking forward to telling the little pirahna that she couldn't have her built-in canopy ;)

Sponsored Links
Chris when did you last see the bs on this, because only a few weeks agoi on an update I was told the 50mm does extend full hight, but they didn't have the latest copy of BS yet.

Suppose I'll have to phone the dogs.

Why BS's aren't in the public domain baffles me.

Paul said:
Chris when did you last see the bs on this
Paul, the following is an edited (by me) extract from Gas Installer, dated October 04.
Gas Installer said:
The installation of domestic gas cookers – New British Standard

Feedback from kitchen designers and installers indicated that there has always been a problem with maintaining the combustible free zone around a cooking appliance. For hobs, this now takes the form of an inverted ‘T’

The reason for this change is that, for example, where a 600mm wide appliance was installed in conjunction with a cooker hood, the hood itself would also be 600mm wide. If the guidance in the previous standard was followed correctly, a gap of 50mm should have been left between the cooker hood and any wall unit on either side.

The new guidance still has this 50mm requirement measured from either side of the hob, but this now only extends up to a height of 460mm. This then allows a cooker hood to be fitted at a minimum height of 760mm (unless stated otherwise by either the appliance manufacturer or the hood manufacturer), but the hood needs to be the same width as the appliance being installed (i.e. 700mm wide hob, 700mm wide cooker hood).

The bs was revised last year. You can get to read them at a good library, and you are allowed to take notes and can print two pages.
Kev, where can you get a copy at £15? that would be a very attractive price, most are in excess of £50.
For cookers BS 6172:2004 is £64 and I seem to remember it has less than 20 pages of content information

Thanks Chris, so if the bs hasn't been revised since oct 2004 the 50mm is not a worry at wall unit hight. A bit remis of the test centre nto having the latest standard to show me. I'd still better find out in case it is a newer standard that we are discussing, the guy seemed quite sure, and was awaiting the latest standard on this.

I wander what the legal implications are of an organisation (for instance argi) buying the British Standards and then printing the salient points for cheap distribution to it's members in the interests of correct practice. Yes I know that this describes the various corgi manuals, but at great cost. We could do with a cheap form of reference maybe accessible on line via membership password or cd.

Hi Paul. What "test centre" is this?

I'm sure there's nothing more recent because (1) it would get a mention in Gas Installer, (2) the standard was only revised a little over a year ago and (3) why would the standard revert to the form it had before the last revision?

Well I'm being quiet because I don't want to give them bad press, they are a great bunch and if they are wrong about this one thing I'll put them right. I think it's strange they don't have the up to date standard, maybe hmso is at fault there? But in any case I'm not going to name them.

I now realise the importance of reading GAs Installer, we have such an onslaught through the letter box every day I don't properly read everything.

Don't you find it hard in this job, if we don't spend time on the tools we don't earn a penny, yet when we arrive home after a hard physical day on the tools we are supposed to keep up to date with all these things.

That's where I've found this place and the argi forum a great help, if I get something wrong you my peers soon put me right.

Paul said:
Don't you find it hard in this job, if we don't spend time on the tools we don't earn a penny, yet when we arrive home after a hard physical day on the tools we are supposed to keep up to date with all these things.
Absolutely! Of course the time we need to spend keeping up to date ought to be reflected in the rate we charge for our services, but we're in competition with installers (registered or otherwise) who don't bother and just bang things in. Plus the public don't realise how technical it's all becoming and don't expect to have to pay for that level of expertise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back