Gas Hob - Contradictory instructions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm fitting my kitchen at the minute and i have instructions for the gas hob which seem contradictiory. The plan is to have an extractor fan unit 600mm wide directly above the hob, with wall units either side.

The hob instructions have a diagram showing a min distance of 420mm between worktop and the bottom of wall cabinent either side is the distance between wall units is 600mm wide.

However it also says
"NOTE: if distance “A” between the kitchen cabinets is between 600 mm and 750 mm, height “B” must be at least 530 mm. If distance “A” between the kitchen cabinets is greater than the width of the hob, height “B” must be at least 400 mm. If a hood is installed above the hob, refer to the assembly instructions for the hood to see the necessary distance.

Am i missing something, the hob is 596mm wide, so if distance A is 600mm or greater then it satisfies both conditions right?

Thanks

Attachments

• Hob.PNG
    Hob.PNG
    71.6 KB · Views: 337
Sponsored Links
Do you have anything in the instructions that shows the A and B measurements? What make/model of hob? You could confirm with the manufacturer?

Hi, A and B are not marked up. I assumed that A is distance between the wall units to either side above the hob (marked as min 600 on the sketch attached), and that B is distance between the worktop (or hob) and bottom of units.

Its a Hotpoint HGS 62S/BK hob.

Not the clearest instructions. Might be worth contacting Hotpoint then? I would personally just use the min guidance, but not sure of this A and B business, sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it's any help, I have a Hotpoint hob (PAN 642) with the wall units 800mm (A) apart. Their bases are 460mm (B) above the worktop. The units don't get very warm when the hob is in use.
From your instructions it seems if A were 600mm (i.e the unit side-wall vertically above the hob edge) then B should be at least 530mm. That seems reasonable to prevent heat damage to the unit.
I don't know how the heat falls off away from the hob edge, but it must be fairly steeply because a theoretical arc of radius 530mm and centred at the hob edge would pass through a point ~520mm (i.e. well above the B values mentioned) above the worktop if A were 800mm.

Last edited:
Thanks,

What i dont understand though is say A was 700mm, it would be wider than the hob but would satisy the criteria for both 400mm and 530mm (i.e. A is between 600mm and 750mm , but its also wider than the hob).

To complicate further, the image shows a minimum of 420.

Think an email to Hotpoint tech support would clear this up. I agree the installation instructions are incomplete on this

I think the hood distance is influenced by whether there is a gap between the hood and wall cabinets i.e. some heat can escape around the sides of the hood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back