Gas Safety Certificate for Landlords - advice needed

If you dont want a meter then all you do is make a simple phone call to have it removed.
After the property has not had a meter for 12 months the service pipe from street will then be dug up and capped off

Sponsored Links
That is correct but bad advice because of the fact they want to cap off the supply at the street after a year.

I had quite a problem with that as I have not been using any gas for quite a while. The only way I could solve it was by signing up to a dual fuel supply but that was just an adminstrative dodge.

In any case the OP wants heating installed during the summer when it will be cheaper.

Tony

I see many where the inlet to the meter has been disconnected and capped.

Probably where the gas bill has not been paid or the shipper advised that gas is not needed for a short while.

The meter is left in position but just with the inlet disconnected. Thats what I had in mind when I said meter removed, removed from use and disconnected from the supply but not necessarily totally removed and left in a cupboard.

Tony

Oddly, no one commented on my suggestion that a cert is not needed if the output of the meter is capped.

I was saying that on a practical basis but would have to agree that if the meter in INSIDE the flat and still connected to the supply then I would conceed that in strict theory a cert would still be required.

If the meter is OUTSIDE then flat and disconnected at its outlet then there is definately NO need for a cert for the flat.

In London there are now very few gas meters still inside properties. Only usually encountered in semi and detached houses.

Tony

Sponsored Links
EPCs for lettings are valid for 10 years from the date of issue, although there is talk of getting this reduced.

I'm not sure that there is any legal requirement to have an electrical safety certificate for the installation, although it is a sensible thing to do. A number of landlords whose properties I look after have started having annual PAT tests done, but seems easier to me not to supply any portable appliances.

I got an Engineer down, he came and officially sealed the meter outlet, i didn't see him how he did it, as he got there first and went ahead without me being there.

He issued the Tenant a green copy of Gas Safe certificate that is titled
"WARNING/ADVICE NOTICE REPORT"

Now I amnot so sure if this covers my back as a Landlord.

The warning is issued with the letters AR (At Risk)

Gas valve not shutting down, safety devices faulty,

Disconnected with my permissin box ticked

Charged 65.00 pounds and he forgot to sign & date and time it!

Now is this legal,though he filled his company name and his own name with telephone number.

He willalsobe quoting me for installing a complete new CH using a condensing combi boiler.

EPCs for lettings are valid for 10 years from the date of issue, although there is talk of getting this reduced.
And personally I think they are of "limited" usefulness. Looking at the ones for my properties, I fail to see how they relate to anything I know about them.
I'm not sure that there is any legal requirement to have an electrical safety certificate for the installation, although it is a sensible thing to do.
It isn't but, as you say, is a good idea - on the basis that an accusation that <something> was caused by faulty electrics can be fairly quickly refuted with a "but they were tested/inspected on <date>" which is likely to stop most complainants dead in their tracks. I've just given notice to one set of tenants, looking back I'm surprised they haven't tried anything on with the electrics - they'd been a pain in so many other ways.
A number of landlords whose properties I look after have started having annual PAT tests done, but seems easier to me not to supply any portable appliances.
There are some appliances that people expect to have - such as a fridge in the kitchen. But then I'm in the position of being able to do my own tests, which I do while I'm there with the guy doing the annual gas checks.
But just as electrical installation tests aren't required, neither are PATs. A simple visual inspection would probably cover most requirements - but a PAT from a "qualified person" gives you that extra bit of "backside covering" :rolleyes:

Currently my tenant is not only behind by 3 months rent, but is now suggesting that I get a new central heating done, a bit of a cheek I think, I just hope he catches up with arrears, for me it is better if he stays from the setting up of a new tenancy, and then you can't tell how the new tenant will be like.

Therefore, I am quite prepared to give him a bit longer to catch up with arrears, we all face hardship from time to time, but if he is taking the micky, then he better go and when he has vacated, the house is empty of all furniture and belongings, it is much better for any installer to conduct his work more efficiently in an unoccupied property, and not having to move heavy furniture about, and tenants can be pain in the back side for setting time limits when work could be done.

If the tenant rented the property with a working heating system then he is within his rights to expect you to repair or replace it if it fails. Either that or reduce the rent to reflect the lack of heating.

But if the CH is working, he is not entitled to demand it be replaced, nor is he entitled to expect it to be 100% breakdown free - if the latter were reasonable then I'd imagine the majority of rental properties would be unlettable :rolleyes:

My previous tenant was a PITA that way, she'd make demands that she'd never get if it were her own property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back