Issuing Gas Safety Certificate & requirements

In over 13 years of doing this I have never been asked to evacuate a building. Let alone surrounding properties

Even with uncontrolled leaks.

And I can be pretty certain I have attended more gas leaks than you have invented.

You're talking shoite.

Oh really! no it is no ****e, it was for real! I could give you an exact date and time when this happened, along with a proof of the letter that stated when the gas meter was going to be changed, along with photographic evidence of the pictures taken showing bubbles forming from the leaking gas as I applied a leak detection fluid. The pictures taken will show the exact meter number, date and i took pictures of the letter itself from Transco. all with a date stamp! and you could ask the gas emergency line to play back or send you a proof copy of my conversation with them.

In fact I had a very strong argument with the Emeregency operator, because she kept on insisting that I evacuate the building along with the neighbours! even though I rest assured her that there was no further leak, and that I just wanted to notify her a case of negligence by the fitter! I explained to her that although it was a minor thing and that the fitter left the test nipple loose but he should have been more carefull, but I have subsequently tightened it!

But she insisted that an emergency team was on its way and that I should leave the premises and tell the neighbours to come out in the street! along with that she asked me to open all windows and doors, turn no electrical appliances or switches on or off, and not use the phone to make any calls! I was already talking to her on it.

I ended up slamming the phone on her, because she did not get what i told her that there was no need to evacuate anyone and the leak had been sorted out, and i just wanted to report that it should not have been left like that by the fitter!

If I post a full story, you would need a good few minutes to read all the facts!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I didn't realise spewing endless amounts of bullshit was a way to win the ratings..

I sometimes get a feeling that some of you may be feeling very insecure or threatened by my posts, but I can rest assure you that they are absolutely harmless and wouldn't even hurt a fly! so please go it easy, don't be a bag of nerves, come to think of it, isn't your reply just as worthless and a load of bulls**t. In what way have you contributed constructively towards this thread?

Don't sweat! I was only joking! :LOL:

here is the evidence, note the date on the letter and the date on the meter when it was swapped!

I took a lot more pictures but two here will suffice for now

LEAKINGGASMETER.jpg

But my apologies I thought it was Transco, but yes National Grid!

here is the evidence, note the date on the letter which says "Planned date of appointment 5th of whatever....2009"and the date on the meter when it was swapped! and the date on my camera are all the same.

LEAKINGGASMETER.jpg

the letter and the picture both have been edited to prevent identifying the address.

Nationalgridletter.jpg

here is the evidence, note the date on the letter which says "Planned date of appointment 5th of whatever....2009"and the date on the meter when it was swapped! and the date on my camera are all the same.

LEAKINGGASMETER.jpg

the letter and the picture both have been edited to prevent identifying the address.

Nationalgridletter.jpg

Hardly likely to stand up in court though as you have stated that you are competent with a screwdriver and appear to like stirring the sh*t. What's to say you hadn't been tampering yourself because you didn't like the chap that did the meter exchange.

What does that letter prove?

The photos prove even less.

Where is the letter from NG about the leak allegedly caused by their operative? Where is your copy of the RIDDOR report?

I'm perfectly secure thanks. Secure enough not to have to post random, irrelevant pictures to try and sound big and clever in front of other people more qualified.

That is your loss if you cannot tell from those pictures, they were not put there to prove anything other than back my story which you accused me of fabricating!

university what??!?! its just theory and proof of nothing..

The law
Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974

The general duties of the Act cover work on gas fittings in factories, mines, quarries, agricultural premises, construction site huts, sewage works and gas-fitting testing premises.

In these premises, work on gas fittings must be carried out by a competent person. If any part of these premises are used as domestic, residential or sleeping accommodation, work on gas fittings must be carried out by someone on the Gas Safe Register.

Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

These Regulations cover work on gas fittings, both natural and LPG in other premises, eg domestic properties, shops, restaurants, schools and hospitals. In these premises the work on gas fittings must be carried out by someone on the Gas Safe Register.

furthermore work constitutes anything which involves the use of a tool on a gas supply, be it a screwdriver or a FGA..

Hardly likely to stand up in court though as you have stated that you are competent with a screwdriver and appear to like stirring the sh*t. What's to say you hadn't been tampering yourself because you didn't like the chap that did the meter exchange.

It will more than stand in any court, simply because it was not my meter, and I had no grudge against any fitter, completely the opposite in fact, see how I did not want to report this matter to NG, read point 10 below.

1.Since the address where this meter was exchanged belonged to an old lady, who knew me and lived 10 houses down the road.

2.She was told by the fitter as he was leaving that since her meter had just been exchanged, some gas inevitably escaped, and told her to leave her windows open for half to an hours and the smell would soon disperse.

3.She leaves her windows open, for well over an hour and according to her the smell appeared to be still lingering on, it had not dispersed despite windows kept open!

4. So being an old woman, reluctant to call them as she might be wrong, and did not want to embarrass herself, pops into my house to seek independent opinion!

5. That is when I popped into her place and realised the cock up an RGI man had made during a meter swap.

6. I thought nothing of it and treated it as a minor error or forget-fullness on the part of the fitter, so I simply tightened the screw, because all it required was a screw driver, no degrees or diplomas!

7. She was pleased that her doubt was right, as she was badly confused and was reluctant to call NG in case she was wrong!

8. But before I tightened the screw, I had to come back to my house to collect a screw driver and so I also fetched my digital camera along to take pictures of the leak after I had applied the LDF.

9. After tightening the test nipple screw, I re-applied the LDF to ensure that the leak had stopped, removed excessive fluid and left her premises. and rest assured her that there was no further leak, and she will be OK soon when the remaining smell of gas disperses.

10. She suggested reporting the matter to NG, I over-ruled her decision and said to her someone might loose his job over a small inadvertent error! and being that we are all humans, it could easily be done by anyone no matter how skilled you are or how competent one is, at some stage we are prone to making silly mistakes, some of which can be critical and cost lives but others can be silly ones like this one for example!

11. later on her daughter returns from work, it was only her who became complete paranoid (like you guys) and wanted me to report the matter, And only upon her insistence did I phone NG to complain that how one of their fitters had left a screw loose on the meter and it was leaking gas and that I had subsequently tightened it.

12. The rest I have already explained what happened, they wanted me to evacuate the occupants of adjoining buildings and leave all doors and windows open etc and wait outside until the emergency team arrives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back