Gas Safety Certificate and Main Bonding

Problem with that Ben is when something goes wrong, you can bet your bottom dollar who's arss they go looking for.

Sponsored Links
In terms of CYA, it is of course good practice to inform the homeowner in writing, and keep a copy of this; a cp12 covers that.
Remember the original Gassafe bod might just have had enough electrical knowledge, or qualifications, to recognise this defect and has brought it to the attention of the householder.

It could be said that we all owe a duty of care to all customers even if the defects that are spotted are not really relevant to the original purpose of the visit.

Problem with that Ben is when something goes wrong, you can bet your bottom dollar who's arss they go looking for.
This is true.
I am an astute practitioner of CYA, as well as keen on earning money, and avoiding doing things I don't get paid for.
By default I include something in quotes to state that the electrical installation should be inspected and can do with bringing it up to 17th edition specification.
The bizarre thing is that afaik, there is not obligation for a homeowner/landlord to do any testing/inspecting of the electrical installation at any time. All they have to do is maintain to reasonable standard.
In daily life that means that the majority does nothing until it goes wrong, at which point they get a fine.
The handy thing of the part p malarkey is that we are now officially incompetent when it comes to electricity. If anything happens, we can turn around and say: "I did advise him to get the electricity checked, but I am a plumber, I was here for the boiler."

In terms of CYA, it is of course good practice to inform the homeowner in writing, and keep a copy of this; a cp12 covers that.
Remember the original Gassafe bod might just have had enough electrical knowledge, or qualifications, to recognise this defect and has brought it to the attention of the householder.

It could be said that we all owe a duty of care to all customers even if the defects that are spotted are not really relevant to the original purpose of the visit.
Yes, that could be said.
It could also be said, that the majority of people is quite happy to spend the money they saved by not getting the electricity checked and improved, on a new widescreen telly and/or a cabletv upgrade.
Am I my brother's keeper?

Sponsored Links
Sorry didn't mean to imply that we should fix them for one moment. Our duty of care clearly ends when we inform them of a possible defect that needs sorting.

You can't write out an MOT on the promise that work will be done.

I took a car to this mechanic in the East End for an MOT.

He told me it needed some suspension bushes.

I went round and saw them finishing off the bushes. I expected it to have to be taken BACK to the MOT place.

But NO, the MOT was already written out and on the passenger seat all ready for me.

The other car had a non working rear wiper and the front screen washer made a noise but did not deliver any water to the screen. All passed first time and just £70 all in.

Tony

the MOT was already written out and on the passenger seat all ready for me.

The other car had a non working rear wiper and the front screen washer made a noise but did not deliver any water to the screen. All passed first time and just £70 all in.
When was this - 1979?

Well thankyou for all your comments, and especially to AlanE for answering my question about PME supplies and bonding. One learns something every day.

I think everybody who takes fees for services and produces a legal document needs to weigh up the balance between 'covering yer ass' and providing a document that is innacurate and could possibly be damaging.

The chap who came round to do the safety certificate is an interesting example. He produced a document which states without any doubt that he considers the gas installation to be 'At Risk'. Now, it appears this isn't actually the case, it is actually 'Not to Current Standards'. Now, usually, a sitting tenant would get to see this document first, and if the installation is incorrectly labeled 'At Risk' this could cause no end of problems between landlord and tenant. In extreme case, the tenant could move out, and the landlord lose revenue. I believe that if that happened the landlord could pursue the gas fellow for damages.

And for the poster who said 'No bonding, no certificate'... My response would be 'No certificate without good reason which would stand up in court, no pay'.

Covering yer ass can have consequences. I would expect the certificate to be accurate and comply with current practice and regulations. Noy to be a CYA exercise.

Thanks to all for interesting thread. We shall probably write to the fellows employer pointing this out, they took our money in advance, and the certificate appears to be incorrect and misleading. They should really replace at their cost.

When carrying out a Landlords Gas Safety Inspection the person actually doing it only has limited guidence of what is required and to what standard when it comes to some defects. (Hope that makes sence!)

He sees something he is not happy with so he in his mind classifies it as AR. There is not a black line that necessarily defined each risk catagory and if he was to phone Gas Safe, and the same with the old CORGI, he would be told it was his call he is the man on site and that is the point really.

It's all well and good posting a situation on a forum and asking for comments, even from seasoned gas persons but always remember the one that visited is the ONLY ONE who has seen the situation in the flesh, we can only go by your posted description, and our interpretation, so may not really be giving accurate advise for YOUR particular situation.

"Cover your ar*e" exercise? I carry out an inspection and I see something I am not happy about but decide to classify it as just NCS where as it should be AR. Something happens and the HSE get involved and they say it should have been AR then it is me with a job and freedom on the line.

If I see something in that grey area between two catagories I will always go for the higher. Likewise if I observe something, even not related to gas, such as your PME situation then I would consider it to be part of my 'Duty of Care' to you to tell you. You might not be aware of the dangerous situation and it is only by putting that advise in writing can I actually prove what I said, should a customer or HSE, later decide to take legal action against me. Remember we now sue each other at the drop of a hat.

Tennant finds out about defect and causes trouble, landlord sues gasman for loss of earnings? That would be tough but are you saying that the tradesperson who enters your property should keep quiet and say nowt despite having spotted a possible life threatening defect?

Think again, how would feel if you was that tradesperson and you kept quiet and noticed in the press that the tennant was found electrocuted due to a faulty electrical installation? Would you not feel guilty that had you spoken up this person would be still alive?

You can't sit on the fence and have it both ways!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back