Gate Automation on Outward Opening Gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a very old (1800s) property that has double iron gates that open outward due to a rising driveway that makes inwards opening not possible. We would like to automate them for convenience (and security, as being manual we tend to leave them open).

All of the information I can find with google is centered around installing NEW outward opening gates and makes reference to Highways Acts and obstructing pavements and getting persmissions etc. Our gates have been installed like this (in various incarnations) since at least the 1950s based on old photos of the village. When in motion they do swing out in to the pavement by about 30cms but when closed or fully open they sit within the line of the boundary wall.

Obviously there is the safety concern and we'd be sure to get gates that have a stop on obstruction function, but other than that do you think we need to get any persmission to be able to automate these gates?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Obviously there is the safety concern and we'd be sure to get gates that have a stop on obstruction function, but other than that do you think we need to get any persmission to be able to automate these gates?

It is illegal to have gates opening out, to obstruct the public footpath, or roadway...

I have a quite similar problem, in that my drive rises up from the road. Were I to open them outwards, then they would not only obstruct the pavement, but partially, the road as well. What I did, was to devise an offset hinge, at the bottom, with a normal hinge pin at the top.

Basically, with the gates closed, the lower hinge point is set vertically back from the upper one, by around 1.5". As the gate is opened, it gently rises at it's outer end, about 6", to clear my drive's surface.

It is illegal to have gates opening out, to obstruct the public footpath, or roadway...

I have a quite similar problem, in that my drive rises up from the road. Were I to open them outwards, then they would not only obstruct the pavement, but partially, the road as well. What I did, was to devise an offset hinge, at the bottom, with a normal hinge pin at the top.

Basically, with the gates closed, the lower hinge point is set vertically back from the upper one, by around 1.5". As the gate is opened, it gently rises at it's outer end, about 6", to clear my drive's surface.
Yeah, I'm slightly different, in that they only obstruct the pavement and only when moving like in the diagram below. Altering the hinges is not really an option as the rise would need to be about 8 inches.

At this point the gates have been there for so long I can't imagine anyone is going to complain... how would they even go about it?!

1716551931241.png

Sponsored Links
we'd be sure to get gates that have a stop on obstruction function

If that means you are thinking of buying new gates then you could consider fitting bi-fold gates
gates bi-fold.jpg

Depending on your local council's Highways Department you may be able to automate them provided that they can only be operated by a person at the gates and who is able to see that opening the gates will not create a hazard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back