Gate help and Ideas needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My gate keeps falling off due to the screws wearing away the holes in the bricks. Even those expanding bolts do the same after time. The bricks are the problem I think, they are just soft and powdery and no waterproof membrane (or whatever they use) was put under the walls when built so the damp rises and makes the bricks even more powdery. The brick work now has lots of holes in where a gate has been regularly reattached and running out of spaces for new screws.

The other problem is that if the gate opens inwards i.e. towards the house, (which it should do?) it has not got a full swing because of the first step being in the way, this is now a problem with a pram!! Also I don't really want the gate to swing outwards as it's a busy pavement.

I need a gate solution and I can't think of one and I don't want to leave a 'gate' off if I can help it, any solutions would be really appreciated

Thanks

Matt

//media.diynot.com/149000_148582_31816_50575952_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
fix a gate post to the wall and screw the gate to the post

And either mount the gate higher so that it clears the step, or have a shorter gate, i.e space at the bottom, to achieve the same.

Hi,

Merlin, sorry forgot to mention that regardless of whether gate or gate post attached to wall, it still works loose. Mounting the gate higher just means all the rubbish blows underneath, crisp bags, wrappers etc, I might have to just bear it though I guess :(

Sponsored Links
In addition to refixing the post to the pillar, use a piece of flat metal bar bent around the post and the pillar to restrain the top of the post. Fix the metal bar to the sides of the pillar or bolt the ends together to pull it tight around the pillar. You could also screw through the metal strap into the post.

You could go to the trouble of having a hinged lower part to the gate so that it it swings up and away from the step when the gate is opened. It would need to hinge completely upwards into the vertical position in order to avoid the pram fouling it.
But it's probably easier to clear up the litter occasionally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back