Gate Valve not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have too Gate Valves in my airing cupboard, both sitting on separate pipes coming from the cold water tank in the loft. One is going to the hot water cylinder and the other is the cold water feed for bathroom and toilet.

My problem is that both of them are very hard to turn and do not shut the water off completely. One is making a bit off a crunching sounds when being closed. So if I have a water leak it is not ideal and I need to fix the problem. I suspect there is some rubbish or maybe limescale in the valves that prevents them from working properly.

1. Can I take them apart a "service" them without changing the whole valve? If so can somebody explain how?

2. Or would I have to change them (which I would like to avoid as it would involve pushing the pipes up in the loft a bit in order to remove the gate valve).

Thanks !

:D

Sponsored Links
You can service them by taking apart but will need to empty both tanks.

Why not spray the spindle and around the gland nut with WD40 and leave for a while to see what happens.
Don't force them or the spindle will snap :cry:

Lagerkhan said:
You can service them by taking apart but will need to empty both tanks.

Why not spray the spindle and around the gland nut with WD40 and leave for a while to see what happens.
Don't force them or the spindle will snap :cry:

Thanks for the quick reply!

Can you give me some more detail on how to service them if I have to? I will certainly try the WD40 first (less work keeps me happy!!!).

Aryl.

There aint much to service.just a spindle and a packing gland.
If you undo the larger nut you will see what is in this picture.
You can undo the small gland nut,wrap a bit of ptfe around spindle and tighten nut.
Or spend £4 and relace both..you can leave the existing nuts and olives and just change the valve body on most.

0003221el3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Lagerkhan said:
There aint much to service.just a spindle and a packing gland.
If you undo the larger nut you will see what is in this picture.
You can undo the small gland nut,wrap a bit of ptfe around spindle and tighten nut.
Or spend £4 and relace both..you can leave the existing nuts and olives and just change the valve body on most.

0003221el3.jpg

Great, it does not get much clearer than that! Many thanks!

Aryl.

Hi Again!

Some time ago since the last post.

I drain the cold water tank and tried to take the existing gate valves apart by undoing the larger nut but it seems impossible. I have used quite a lot of force and also tried carefully with a hammer on the wrench. Does not move a mm!

I also bought 2 new gatevalves I can not get these apart either...!

Am I doing missing something here??? C4???

Any tips are welcome!

ARYL.

If you've drained the tank and you've got 2 new gate valves then you may as well fit them-be easier than messing about trying to take them apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back