Gazebo: Timber Choice and Max Span

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i'm new here (or i thought i was, but it turns out i have a login!) and my wife has decreed that we need a hot tub, so i've to build a gazebo in the far corner of the garden. It's within 1m of the boundary so i am trying to keep it under 2.5m total. I am fairly comfortable with DIY, but have never planned anything of this scale before, and because it'll be very visible - i'm keen not to mess it up. I've already messed up the plan a bit by not understanding the difference between nominal and finished size timber, but i'll sort that.

This is the plan i have put together.
two.jpg

The dimensions are 340*260 plus roof overhang. The posts are freestanding (possibly bolted to concrete) 150x150. The beams are the same, but i'm a bit unsure about the 3.1m clear span also supporting the gable roof, especially with a lap joint at either end. Because of the low height, i don't want to have beams spanning the two walls internally as they'll also get in the way of moving around the hot tub while standing up, and i don't want knee joints to restrict entry in to the gazebo. I'm not against collar ties, but i think the low pitch (13 degrees) might make it look a bit weird. I'll probably change the ridge beam support with a notched 150*150 or sandwich another 150*50 inbetween the two existing, and i want to tidy up the gable end so that i don't have someone's eye out with the unsupported ply.

The rafters are 150*50*1500cm, 150 overhang, 150 seat cut on the birdmouth held at 13 degrees with 436 rafter spacing. I'd use C24 timber unless C16 was ample.
On top of the rafters i was planning to use 11mm marine ply, but everything i've read says i'll need to go 18mm for the asphalt tiles on top. Any thoughts?

I'm no skilled woodworker, so i'm hoping for clean square cuts and good screws/bolts. How would you join the beam to post and ridge support to beam? I'd love to hear about recommended fittings or changes to my timber choice, but going bigger will ultimately need to change my wall height (205cm / 190 clear after beam) which i'd rather not do.

Am i asking too much of that 340cm 150*150 beam (310 unsupported) to support that roof and not try and pull itself apart?

Sponsored Links
in case it's not clear from the angle of the pictures - the gable end is the 260 side, and the rafters are sitting on the 340 side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back