GDX Intercom Handset too loud - stuck :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can help or offer advice. I recently moved into a flat with a GDX intercom - the buzzer is SUPER loud. I'd rather have no sound at all, or reduce the volume to a minimum. From looking around here it seems people have DIY fixed similar problems.

Attached are some pictures from inside the intercom, which I think is a GDX 23121. If anyone has any ideas I'd be so grateful!

Attachments

• 20230301_221137.jpg
    20230301_221137.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 20230301_221153.jpg
    20230301_221153.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 20230301_221245.jpg
    20230301_221245.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 20230301_221312.jpg
    20230301_221312.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links
Have you tried turning it down via VR1 anti-clockwise? ( picture 3 )

Thanks for your help. :)

I had looked at that part and tried to manually turn the black casing, but it is fixed in place.

I can try to find something to fit in the white area maybe. To see if it turns something inside. None of the tools I had at the time would fit in there (it's kind of a weird shape, so I wasn't sure if it's meant to be turned or if it requires something specific). I will try to find something that fits and see.

I had looked at that part and tried to manually turn the black casing, but it is fixed in place
It is the white inner part of the variable resistor that is meant to be rotated.
If you have anything like a jewellers screwdriver, or even the pointy end of a steak knife, it should be able to turn it.
...or you can get a specific 'potentiometer trimmer tool' :)

Sponsored Links
Perfect! Thank you and I really appreciate that. :) I will try that in the morning. If I can get it quiet enough that might be all it takes! If not it'll be an improvement anyway until I find a way to fully mute.

Perfect! Thank you and I really appreciate that. :) I will try that in the morning. If I can get it quiet enough that might be all it takes! If not it'll be an improvement anyway until I find a way to fully mute.
By the way, it is set to near maximum at the moment! Turning it the other way should be a big help :)

You can mute the intercom

Sorry to requote but I just noticed a bit at the end of the picture you posted. "If... your handset is off hook, the handset will not ring when called". That sounds like it could be an easy fix!

Thanks so much everyone. I can't wait to try these things out this later / over the weekend and will report back. A quiet ring that I can disable fully at times would be amazing.

I read and said above - the mute button only turns it off for a few hours.

That's what I've been using until present but it's not suitable for my needs.

Anyway, just a heads up to everyone to say thanks for the collective help. It's been good to learn some DIY info, for example learning what a potentiometer is.

The ringer is completely disabled when the phone is taken off, so I'll be using that method. I turned down the potentiometer too and will get someone soon to help me test if it's quieter - but either way, the buzzer will be fully off 99.9% of the time. Problem solved.

Have you tried turning it down via VR1 anti-clockwise? ( picture 3 )
Hi, I'm having the same issue only i seem unable to locate VR1, see pic attached - help please? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230919_230939.jpg
    20230919_230939.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 49

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back