General advice/thoughts please ref waste.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
A quick question. I have been looking through the site and see that several people can get a bit funny with general, nonspecific questions especially when lacking diagrams/photos, However I would appreciate any thoughts.

I have just purchased a classic cornish granite cottage with a single story block extension that houses the kitchen and then bathroom right at the rear.
Several houses in the terrace have carried out a loft conversion but none with ensuite.

Getting water up there is of no concern but due to pressure i will be fitting an electric shower. My concern is around the waste, especially from the toilet. The current toilet is two stories below and then approx 5m away, which feeds straight into the sewer. I was chatting to a builder who reckons the best way forward would be to fit a macerator. I know these throw up problems further down the line (and are not liked by the trade) but it has to be easier than fitting whole new waste pipe.

Am i also right in thinking that the waste pipe cant be more than 2 meters long to the main waste.
I am going to get ideas and quotes from people I know in the trade but any ideas thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Am i also right in thinking that the waste pipe cant be more than 2 meters long to the main waste.

No, it depends on the layout. If there is an open vent at the end of the new run then you can have as long as you want.

They're the work of the Devil dear boy, don't do it!!! Imagine the scene; Aunt Mary the prim & proper spinster is over for Xmas & after a heavy Christmas Dinner, she nips upstairs for a dump. After completion of her 'business' & flushing the WC, she is appalled to find the jobby churner is on the blink!!

How will you live it down?? Your name will be mud in family circles!! Don't do it. The trade knows best, ignore our advise at your pearl.

Sponsored Links
Reckon your right. Had some horrid situations on super yachts with macerators. Blocked with S**T load of pressure, take a pipe off looking for blockage and whole bloody cabin (inc me) covered. Not cool. Proper waste pipe it is then.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back