GENERAL PERMITTED DEVELOPMENT ORDER 2015

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone help me who have had experience of these new planning guidelines implemented by the government.
I want to add a 5m (long) x 3m deep conservatory to the back of my house. The previous owners already added a 2 storey extension 5x3m. I have just phoned the council planning to check if planning is required and they said yes. I asked them to explain why considering the 3m previously added and the 3m i propose to add is within the new guidelines. They could not give me a reason as to why i needed planning permission for this conservatory expect to say that the house had already had an extension..we kept going round in circles as i then said but i havent exceeded the 6m now allowed for permitted development as set out in the 2015 development order.
I am quite frustrated. Has anybody else had a similar experience. I wouldn't mind if the council could give me a more concrete reason but if I haven't exceeded the 6m then i don;t know why i need planning permission. All help advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
The dimwit you spoke to at the council should have been able to explain it..

You would need planning permission for the conservatory because it would be an enlargement of an existing two-storey extension. The prior notification
scheme only applies to single-storey extensions. Where a proposal involves an extension on an extension, the whole extension (ie existing extension plus proposed extension) is viewed as one.

Aha I now get it!
Now another question.
When submitting a planning application can I just submit a location plan e.g. where the proposed conservatory will be and a site plan (area shaded that will be the conservatory) or do I have to submit architect drawings? the conservatory company obv have drawn up a plan but they say this isn't sufficient and that they can offer us the planning service for £500 - bit this seems a lot if I dont actually need architect drawings..again any advice really appreciated.

I would have thought that the conservatory company's drawings would be adequate - but without seeing them...

Sponsored Links
In addition to the site- and location plans, the council would usually want to see a plan, and side- and rear elevations to a scale of 1:100. Additionally, many LPAs also want the existing plans and elevations.
Having said that, Nak. may well be right - depends on your LPA. Try it and see.....?
£500 seems a little bit steep for what only need to be basic outline drawings (no construction details), but then again, do you live in Westminster or Hull..?

Yes the administrator who checks the planning application at the council when it is submitted will just go through a box ticking exercise and if the required plans/ eles aren't included it will just not be registered until they are. That said you get some absolute piles of shoite submitted for conservatory's sometimes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back